Thread: Edge Banding and Adjustable Shelves

Edge Banding and Adjustable Shelves

I'm building some cabinets with adjustable (non-fixed) plywood shelves and was wondering if I should edge band all four edges of the shelves, just the front edge, or just the front and back edges (in case I ever need to turn the shelf around to hide damage, for example). Any thoughts or suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Yes to all 4. It looks better and does give you a quick way to fix someone's accidental scratch or gouge.

I edge band front and back but not the sides. This allows for a "spare" edge. IMO banding the sides is a waste of time and material. Also, if the job is being built or assembled on site, the shelves may be made in long blanks and cut to length on site. I might feel differently after I retire and everything stops being billable or non billable.

I usually run a solid edge that is 1"X1"' with a 3/4"X3/4" rabbit taken out so the shelves are a bit stiffer and look more substantial. I'll use hard or soft maple, only do the front, damage is less of an issue because this edge can take a hit and is reparable in the future. For lightly used shelves I've used prefinished ply with prefinished edge band applied to front and back, never done the sides though. Makes fitting more difficult, and no one ever sees the sides or seems to care in any way about their appearance anyway.

I have not made a lot of removable shelf units but the ones I have I used edge banding all the way around. It makes for a very clean look and the edge of the plywood never gets splintered out when pulling the shelf out.

I used these router bits, the B set from the link below, to do all the edge banding. I routed the plywood all the way around and made the edge banding longer then needed, then mitered the corners to fit and glued and clamped them on. I also made the edge bands a little wider than the plywood and used flush trim but to and then sanded, made a really nice looking shelf.

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/..._-_glue_joints

Edging front and back is fine. Sides will never be seen.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    Edging front and back is fine. Sides will never be seen.
    The problem I saw with one that had already been made was the side edges of the shelf had splintered from taking them in and out, that is why when I made mine I put banding all the way around.

I guess if you are not taking them in and out a lot it would make no difference.

I'm with Bill on this one. I do the same, for the same reasons
    except for the brand of bit. I use a MLCS Katana set.
    http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...banding_anchor