Thread: Help! My Delta contractor saw is UN-alignable!!

Help! My Delta contractor saw is UN-alignable!!

A little backround...

I've had my Delta for about 5 years. It's been sitting just about dormant for about 2 1/2 years due to lack of space in my basement shop (moved into this house 2 1/2 years ago). I've been using my Bosch 4000. During the last 2 1/2 years I've learned lots about tool setup and alignment and have applied to others tools that I own.

Now that I've moved my tools (including my Delta) into my new shop, I thought, "what an opportunity to apply my knowledge." I even dug out and installed the PALS system that I bought quite some time ago. Using the hardwood-in-miter-guage-with-little-brass-screw-in-the-end method of alignment, I can not move my trunnion any further to the right. Brass screw barely touches (as it should) saw tooth in front of saw - rotate the same tooth to the rear and it doesn't reach! I don't have a feeler guage, but sighting the daylight in between I'd guess its off by less than 1/32". I even loosened the front trunnion bolts and moved the assembly as far right as possible then retightened - same results! The PALS on the left is tight enough to begin scoring the aluminum L-bracket - the trunnion just stops moving right. It would seem that the hole on the trunnion itself needs to be elongated to allow for more travel.

Does this sound right? Do I need to explain more? Has anyone run into this before? What's my next step!!

I'd really like to get this thing up and running as soon as possible - I'm growing tired of using the Bosch - with the Delta right there!

Thanks in advance,
    -joe

Joe, I assume that your trunion is mounted to the table top. Check to see if it is. In that case the only thing you can do is elongate the holes as I see it. I would check and see if there is some way to move the table top to help with the alignment. I adjusted mine several years ago, but I don't remember how I did it. It seems I moved the table somehow.

DK

Joe. Were you able to loosen the front two bolts? You may want to take the PALS off and see if you can align it. You could also have an arbor runout issue, you'll need a dial indicator to check that tho' . Instead of using a tooth as a reference, place 4 magic marker dots on tha blade, 90 degs apart, and behind the gullets, and check all 4 to each other. Just a couple of suggestions

Joe,
    I suspect that your diagnosis is correct, as well as the required fix. I had a Delta contractor's TS from 1975 till 1992 when I scrapped it for a Unisaw. Same issue there. I think you will need to drop out the trunion and enlarge the holes so that you can achieve the correct alignment. That is what I had to do. This is a real safety issue since if the fence toes in at the rear of the blade, that is a perfect recipe for a kickback. It takes a bit of time since there is so little room under the table to work, and the trunion assembly is heavy and awkard to remove and reinstall.
    Good luck.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    ...and enlarge the holes...
    Alan,

Forgive the dumb question, but what type of drill bit can be used to drill out the hole (steel) in the trunnion? Whatever it is, I suspect I can chuck this into my drill press and drill away - correct?

Thanks,
    -joe

Joe -

I would be inclined to use a round file to enlarge the hole(s) in the direction required. Had to do that on one previous saw I owned. Do you have 4 or 6 trunnion bolts?

Ted

Ted,

4 bolts - 2 in the front and 2 in the back.

-joe

Check to see that your tie bars are parallel before you go and enlarge any holes.
    Go to Deltas website and FAQ.
    http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e=144&p=462

Hey Jim (S.),

Welcome to the Creek! Way to go making your first post a helpful suggestion - that's a great sign.

As one who's not totally familiar with the guts underneath a contractors saw, what are the "tie bars" you refer to?

FYI, the SMC terms of service require a first and last name. You should send a PM (private message) to Jackie Outten and she'll update your profile to have a full last name.

Again - welcome to SMC!

Rob

Any ideas where to get a 6" x 8" flat plate as indicated in the doumentation on the Delta website?

Thanks,
    -joe