Thread: Name plate fixture

Name plate fixture

I should engrave a few hundred brass plates with diferent size and shapes (rectangular and rounded).
    Does anyone have good plans for rapid customization and change of the plates.
    Epilog Mini 24/35W, Shenhui 600x900/80W RECI, CNC WK1325, Galvo Fiber 10W

Are you cutting them one at a time, or can you lay out multiples on the table to cut?
    George

I am engraving one by one.

For multiples I might have had a suggestion, but one at a time, nothing comes to mind that would make it easier, sorry.
    George

What is your solution for multiples engraving?

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatko Kursar View Post
    Find someone with a laser and sub contract it out. A laser will do the job in a fraction of the time.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I have a laser but must do this with CNC.

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatko Kursar View Post
    Lay it out using corel draw, it has a mail merge feature where you can generate multiple pages with the changes you need from piece to piece. Then export each page in dxf format that you can import into your cad program and generate the toolpaths. It should not take too long especially since each export will have many pieces done at once.
    George

I might not well explained. I need a JIG for fixture plates.

If you are doing one at a time, then a vise with different profiled jaws to hold the shapes is the fastest.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Fiore View Post
    If you are doing one at a time, then a vise with different profiled jaws to hold the shapes is the fastest.
    For holding the work, take a look at this. Have never used one yet, but seen it used and it looked good.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    George

Thanks George, I have already seen, but I've never been sure of functionality. Does anyone already tried?

My mistake, I missed the words "brass" in the first post. Sorry about that.

I have a mat like that used on a rotary engraver. It works well. I've cut aluminum on it before, but taking very light cuts (.005" or so at a time), going about .020" deep.

You have to keep them clean. When they are clean (soap and water), they stick like glue. Get a little dirt, dust, or chips under them, they'll let your part zing across the room.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Scott, now that you mentioned cleaning the mat with soap and water, I remembered that I had a roller made of this material (or something very similar). It was really stick when clean and dry, was sold to remove lint from clothing. It worked, but as soon as it was covered with lint, that was it, needed to be washed, so did not work too well for removing lint. However, my point is, it was dirt cheap, those mats, made of the same material, are way overpriced.
    George