Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

12 Sep 2011

Good Morning Everyone,

Today's Weekend Accomplishments is one that is difficult for me to write. My dad passed away Friday evening at 7:45 PM. I was able to leave Arkansas and arrive at my parent's home in time for me to tell my dad how wonderful of a daddy he was and that I will always love him dearly. It was shortly after that is when he passed from the arms of his most beloved wife and into the arms of an angel....carrying him home forevermore.

Today is my dad's funeral and I have a lot to do in order to support my mom throughout this day. I give all my ww'ing friends and most heartfelt Thank You for all your kind thoughts and prayers for my parents and me though all this. My ww'ing family will always hold a special place in my heart.

That's it for me as I need to get busy before the 2 PM funeral today. So what did YOU do that past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Sad news. I wish you and your family strength during this rough time and offer my sincere condolences on the loss of your dad.

My most heartfeld condolences. I know he has been dealing with serious health issues for a while, but it is always heart breaking to lose a loved one... May you and your family find peace in this time of loss...

My weekend finished up a week long semi stay-cation... (Small day trips from home, but mostly home, which was actually pretty nice...).

Over the weekend I repaired and repainted my old Kenmore 90 series electric dryer. The Thermostatic fuse blew out, so I got the thermostat / fuse set, cleaned about 4 sweaters mass in lint out of the bottom side of the dryer, sanded, primed, and painted the top of the dryer that was starting to get some surface rust, and repainted all of the exposed plastic components that were yellowing...

I had also taken the grinder / flap wheel to the washer around the bleach cup where it was starting to rust, again... This time I ground out with the flap wheel, the treated with EvapoRust, cleaned it all up, dried it thoroughly, primed, and painted with 3 coats of enamel.

Simply put, LOML when we got married 4 years ago, were put in a position where we needed a washer / dryer (my old Bachelor set had failed, and parts to fix them were not available), we couldn't afford new, so we got a pair from a used appliance shop on the north side of Houston. A working washer / dryer pair for $250.00 with a 30 day warranty, I figured what the heck, beats a laundromat for sure! Anyway since then I have had to replace the heating element, and thermostat / fuse set, do some cosmetic touch ups. But they work well other than those failures...

I also spent what little shop time I was allowed on my vacation (LOML sometimes has VERY different ideas of what I am going to do with my free time...) and I knocked out a couple of inlay templates for the urn projects. Hopefully I can get the time to use them sometime soon...

Sunday was pretty emotional for me as I have lost several dear friends in the wars since 9-11, and I decided to stay home with my family. We don't often intentionally skip Sunday services, but I did not want to be around a lot of other people yesterday...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Very sad news indeed. My condolences to you and your family during this difficult time.......

No shop time for this guy again this weekend. Spent two of my three days off painting metal roofs on the barns with that aluminum paint. Let me tell you, once it gets stuck to your skin the only way to get it off seems to be gasonline at this point. But I know it'll wear off over time.

The third day was spent chopping corn and filling silo for winter feed. You know summer has ended when the cornchopper

Dennis, very sorry to hear about your dad. Its news I've been hearing from too many people over the past few weeks.

We had a wedding to go to in Cleveland on Saturday so the whole day was pretty much consumed with getting one of the dogs to the kennel and then heading out to that. Sunday I tried to get to Kansas City. Anyone watching the news yesterday can guess how my day went.

I did watch several episodes of The Wood Whisperer on my iPad.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 09-12-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Very sorry to hear your news, my condolences to you and your family.

As far as projects go, I got all the wood cut for my router table cabinet and planted 4 trees in the backyard.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear of your loss Dennis.

Dennis,

Thoughts and prayers with your family. Not much that can make this any better, but am glad you got there to spend some time with him. That accomplishment trumps all others....
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Bless you, Dennis. I am glad you were able to see him first.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Dennis, my friend, my heart is saddened. Know that Sharon and I have you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Dennis, I am sorry for your loss. He lives on in you and your memories.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Sorry for your loss, Dennis.

Dennis, I am sorry to hear of your loss. I know it is not easy to lose your Dad as I lost mine 3 years ago and in the last 4 years I have lost 5 members of my immediate family. It takes time to get your life back in order once something like this happens to you. They say the time heals all wounds but I have no idea how much time it takes to heal over something like this as I am still not over losing my Dad. I will say to take your time and cherish all the memories you have of him.

Gary
    "Chaos is the law of nature. Order is the dream of man."
    Wallace Stegner

Dennis, sorry to hear about your lose.

This weekend nothing really anything woodworking, sitting in class both days. However on friday ordered a Byrd head from holbren for my jointer (thanks Dan). Now I just coming home every day hoping its hear. Maybe today.
    Matt

Sorry for your loss.

My major shop accomplishment was to discover that my Shopnotes based router dado jig is not square and every dado I cut with it is perfectly sized and not square to the sides! Planed and resawed some some filler pieces to fill in the bad dadoes, glues them into place, and still need to get out the block plane plane them flush. After that I'm going to repurpose them as sides for shop cabinets since the eyesore factor doesn't come into play. Applying the sour grapes philosophy, I thought that plywood had too many voids anyway, so the trip to buy another (hopefully) better sheet should make the end result better. Think I'm also going to buy three times as mush edge banding and use it on all the edges instead of shop made hardwood strips...

I priced that Woodhaven dado jig and I think I'm going to take another crack at the Shopnotes jig. $200 seems like a lot of coin for that jig...