Thread: School of hard knocks [part 2] -the rescue

School of hard knocks [part 2] -the rescue

I posted on the other thread about the tenon breaking on that Stonewall Jackson Prayer tree burl..........well I went back to it this evening...........put the thing back on the lathe.......this time between centers, and remade the tenon [soaked it generously in CA glue] and of course had to cut the whole thing down a good bit.

The punky wood was still an issue..........sooooo, I decided to just put 3 heavy coats of shellac on the thing and stiffen it all up............big difference!

It is now in rough out stage......I went to put it into the DNA to soak for a couple of days..........too big for my 5 gallon bucket of DNA..........so I put some shavings in a plastic bag and put some in the bowl center, and will revisit tomorrow, and put some DNA in the bag with the shavings also.........or maybe get me a bigger plastic container.

Here are a few pics of the rescue...........

IMGP3029.jpgIMGP3030.jpgIMGP3031.jpgIMGP3032.jpgIMGP3033.jpgIMGP3034.jpg

Of course.........having to cut the thing down in size to get rid of the broken rim, and a lot of the very punky areas, it was necessary to change the shape a bit, and now it is about 12 inches in diameter, where it was about 16" and I had to remove the ogee shape and go with a more traditional shape on the bowl.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Looks like you got a handle on it Roger. Hope it holds up to finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.