Thread: Small project finish ideas...

Small project finish ideas...

I've been making some small boxes that I'm planning on giving away. Someday, I wouldn't mind selling one or two, though and I've noticed that the finishing is taking more time than the building. I'm set up to spray waterbornes, but am open to wiping varnish, etc. What are your recommendations for a quick, decent finish for these projects? Thanks.

How will be the boxed be used?
    What type of wood?
    What look and feel do you want on the boxes?
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Blog Entries
    As Scott points out, the success of your finish (and therefor the observed quality of your work) relies on how the object will be used. If the boxes are for index cards full of recipes to be used in the kitchen I would choose differently than for a jewelry box in a grown women's dressing area.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    In addition to the previous comments, boxes are a great place to experiment and build your comfort level with different finishes. Unless you have used some expensive exotic, you're not out a lot if you totally mess it up and usually they are small enough that you can strip itown and start over if you don't like the way the finish turned out.