Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hand plane preferences?

Single Irons vs. Double Irons

Quote Originally Posted by Steve knight
    but in reality thicker blades don't chatter even in a jack plane. plus with a woodie the iron is bedded better and the wood absorbs the vibrations. when I was using ron hock irons I never found a difference with or without a chipbreaker.
    though they are handy to keep the shavings away from the wedge.
    Thank you Chuck and Steve. In a past life, I was an engineer, so I do like my analytical explanations. I looked at the Clark and Williams web site, and they have a page that discusses Single Irons vs. Double Irons, that is informative. http://www.planemaker.com/articles/dblirn.html

Steve I don’t see why a plane iron can’t be bedded in a metal plane just as well as it can be in a wood plane. I believe it’s just a matter of good design and accurate machining.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Morley

Steve I don’t see why a plane iron can’t be bedded in a metal plane just as well as it can be in a wood plane. I believe it’s just a matter of good design and accurate machining.
    I think it is the metal to metal contact thats the issue not how well they both are machined and matched. put some vibration asorbing material betweeen them and see what happens.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing