Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Work Shop 3000, Wow!

I have had my WS 3000 for a couple years now. And I do not regret it one bit. When I first bought it, I caught a bunch of accessories on Amazon for a big discount. I bought extra glass plates so each grade of paper has its own side. No changing of paper at all. I use an abrasive cleaner on the paper and the WS brand has lasted a long time. Though I did also buy spare paper. Have yet to use it though.

I made a simple wooden jig to hold my 6" jointer knives. I did my jointer knives on the WS and you could not believe how well they cut. I took a piece of 2x pine and cut a slot in the edge. I then beveled the end of the 2x to the jointers blade angle. When I cut the bevel I did it so the blade was just slightly longer than the depth of the slot. I use the guide bar on the WS and move the blade back and forth across the wheel. Since the jig is wood. The paper sands it just like the blade. Works like a charm. I have used it 3 times now (3 blades each time). I thought of a couple ways to make a better guide system for doing wide blades like this. But each time I have used my ol' Piney, it has worked just fine. I have not done it yet but was thinking of trying a 12" planer blade the same way.

I've had the WS 3000 in my peripheral vision for a while now and this thread forced my hand given that we are just finishing up a white ash kitchen and are a week or so away from installing in an out of level, out of plumb, post and beam 2nd floor kitchen that has to rise up and meet the out of everything roof.

Gonna need some seriously (scary?) sharp chisels and planes.

So I pulled the trigger and it arrived yesterday. After two evenings, I already feel like I've had this tool for months if not forever. It's very user friendly. After years of freehand grinding, my angles were way off and of course, off on the too shallow side as that is the quickest way to a new edge. So I Have worn out the two 120 grit discs that come with the WS but more will arrive tomorrow.

It can take a lot to regrind to a new (correct) angle, but after that, a few quick touches to the next higher grit has you on your way to the next higher one after that.

I've got 100 disks each of Mirka 6" psa 120, 220, and 320 arriving tomorrow. Plus the 400, 1000 and 3600 discs I already have.

Too many? Don't think so- I've got 40 years of dull and inaccurately ground chisels and plane irons to be brought up to specs. Looking forward to it.

This tool is everything good that everyone has said. Did I determine that in the two days I've had this thing?

No. 40 years and two days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cadotte View Post
    I have had my WS 3000 for a couple years now. And I do not regret it one bit. When I first bought it, I caught a bunch of accessories on Amazon for a big discount. I bought extra glass plates so each grade of paper has its own side. No changing of paper at all. I use an abrasive cleaner on the paper and the WS brand has lasted a long time. Though I did also buy spare paper. Have yet to use it though.

I made a simple wooden jig to hold my 6" jointer knives. I did my jointer knives on the WS and you could not believe how well they cut. I took a piece of 2x pine and cut a slot in the edge. I then beveled the end of the 2x to the jointers blade angle. When I cut the bevel I did it so the blade was just slightly longer than the depth of the slot. I use the guide bar on the WS and move the blade back and forth across the wheel. Since the jig is wood. The paper sands it just like the blade. Works like a charm. I have used it 3 times now (3 blades each time). I thought of a couple ways to make a better guide system for doing wide blades like this. But each time I have used my ol' Piney, it has worked just fine. I have not done it yet but was thinking of trying a 12" planer blade the same way.
    That is a great idea... I just might have to try that!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cadotte View Post

Would you be so kind as to taking some pictures of your jig?
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.