Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I burn painted wood in firepit

Blog Entries
    The fire pit will be fine, but I would suggest against it. If it's older pressure-treated wood, for example, the arsenic-based fumes will do some serious damage to your lungs (among other body parts). You don't know what type of paint was used, and even if you do, do you know what toxins are created when you burn it? Probably not...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

when houses are torn -down WHO GET THE PRESSURE-TREATED WOOD ? how often do houses build with P T wood get destroy by fire and the neighbors inhale the smoke/fumes ? I not hijacking this thread but adding to it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    when houses are torn -down WHO GET THE PRESSURE-TREATED WOOD ? how often do houses build with P T wood get destroy by fire and the neighbors inhale the smoke/fumes ? I not hijacking this thread but adding to it
    I don't know about you, but if my neighbor's house is on fire, it's not my first thought to stay nearby and inhale the smoke. And I could be wrong on this one, but when it gets to the point that a firefighter would be inhaling a lot of smoke, they tend to put on oxygen masks before going into the burning building.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Just burn it already. Its got to go somewhere - do you think its better in a landfill somewhere? What do you do with the shavings you take with a plane? The toxins are negligible unless you are standing directly in the smoke stream right by the fire. And lead based, latex, oil based, etc doesn't really matter. This planet has lots bigger problems to deal with.

Dan and Pat replies and true for the majority of people but some people will stand outside and watch the smoking fire and then complain

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    This is one of those questions that if you need to ask, you probably shouldn't do it.
    +2 You are probably asking because you think that it's not a good idea and you want someone to ok it for you. Am I certain one way or another? No. But just commonsense tells me that there are plenty of toxins that will be released into the air when it's burned. I'll burn any unfinished scrap but never anything painted/stained/finished or any plywood or OSB. I don't buy any of the global warming hype, climate has changed throughout time (ice ages, dinosaurs in North Dakota, etc). But would you burn plastic?

The stuff about "don't drive your car" "don't buy anything produced", that is straw man argument. You drive to get somewhere and for a reason. You need to drive to live your life in this society. You do not need to burn painted wood, that is a choice you would make. If you want to have a camp fire or fire pit, just get some firewood or burn unfinished scrap.

Blog Entries
    Stephen:

Bet you didn't think you would get this big of a discussion going.

1. Put on a Tyvek suit, full-face respirator, and three layers of gloves (nitrile, kevlar and free-range cowhide).

2. Plane off the paint. Scoop up the paint chips and triple bag them in plastic bags (minimum 6 mil thick polyethylene and be sure to do this while an exhaust fan with HEPA filter is running to prevent contaminating The Environment).

3. Take the triple-bagged paint chips to your nearest HAZMAT collection facility, along with your Tyvek suit and full face respirator. These are all now HAZMATs and must be properly disposed of.

To be continued...

(Jiminy Christmas, judging from some of the replies, one would think the guy was handling Ebola zaire or powdered plutonium, rather than – GASP! – painted wood...)
    Last edited by Jacob Reverb; 09-15-2011 at 3:40 PM.

Stephen - I can speak with some authority here because I have a chemistry background and a fairly deep knowledge of the ingredients in paints, finishes and the combustion process.

Would I guarantee that you or anyone else cannot get a minimal exposure by inhaling smoke from such a fire - Nope. Neither can I guarantee that someone won't get horribly burned by stoking a fire. The risk is roughly equivalent, provided that:

1) The paint was newer than about 1985 or so. Most really nasty pigment compounds were taken out of paint and the existing, grandfathered stock exhausted by then. That includes lead used in virtually all paint, arsenic compounds included in red pigments, cadmium and chromium in several different whites, yellows and greens.

2) The wood isn't pressure-treated. PT wood before about 2005 contains a fair amount of arsenic and chromium that will be released and vaporized when burned.

3) You don't cook over it. That includes not cleaning out the ash and then lighting another fire with non-painted wood or charcoal and cooking over that fire.

It is true that you will release a small amount of Volatile Organic Hydrocarbons (VOCs) into the atmosphere over and above that released from an ordinary wood or charcoal fire, but the amounts will be extremely small, and will be considerably less than what goes into the atmosphere when you use a solvent-based paint or finish on a wood product or deck.

I burn anything with finish, ply, PT scraps (newer) and everything under about 10" in my burn pile at home. Don't hang out around it and other than some 2-headed toads and the fact the grass grows a funny color I haven't noted any problems .Now all my unfinished hardwood scrap gets cut into 10" lengths and we take it camping. Makes for great campfires and great coals for grilling.

Thank you, Mr. Keller, for injecting some knowledge into this discussion. I wasn't 100% positive, but I suspected what you said was the case.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

While you're at it, throw a car tire in the firepit also. It will give you a nice warm fire for the evening!

If I caught a neighbor burning lead painted wood in their fire pit next door to the house where I raise my children they would find out exactly how hard a piece of unfinished maple feels when it hits their head. That would have to be among the less considerate things I can think of to do to those around you. I wouldn't want to use a finished piece in case I later decided to light it on fire and shove it elsewhere. So if the source of this wood is potentially older than 1985, skip it.

So you have painted wood, you want to burn it? Where I live that is not just considered stupid, it is actually not legal. You can't cut weight from a construction dumpster by burning in a barrel, even if you aren't planning on huffing the smoke. You just can't send that crap out for all your neighbors to inhale. Latex is basically plastic. If I decide to start burning old diaper, gloves, shopping bags, milk cartons, in a residential setting just to get rid of them is that ok? Maybe the paint isn't latex. Still has some form of resin, binders, maybe a few voc's. A house fire is a tragedy to try and avoid, not a lifestyle choice to emulate. I have burned plywood, painted wood, prefinished ply, mdf and other junk in small quantities from my shop in the past, mixed it into an otherwise clean fire to get rid of it. But it stinks, in a toxic way that can't be good, in a way that sends any one in the vicinity running from fumes. Just nasty, I regret having done it, I have stopped.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 09-16-2011 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate topic.

Nevermind my most recent comment - live and let live
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 09-15-2011 at 8:54 PM.

I agree with everyone!

On the one hand we humans are plague monkies and prone to defecating where we eat - so burn away it ain't that bad. On the other hand burning finished wood and plywood is likely a chemical cocktail that is not good for you - so don't burn the pieces.

I separate my scraps, plywood and finished scraps get 86'd and all other scraps are offered to friends for cheery blazes.

Truth is wood smoke is carcinogenic I hear. It was around the firepit that civilization was cultivated and nurtured; enjoy your scraps as you see fit for you and yours.

But then there's this gal in BC Canada who is trying to stop people from smoking salmon because of all the... smoke!