Thread: Help: making H. maple look like walnut

Help: making H. maple look like walnut

I am in the final stages of making a workbench, and I've got a question for the better informed:

I am using bought hardware for the vises. All the front chops (leg and end vise twin screw) are purple heart. The rest of the bench is walnut. The vises I bought came with hard maple handles and hubs. It looks a little silly to go from dark walnut to dark purple to light hard maple. Not a fan of rainbows, and I've put too much time into this already. Anyway, what is the best way to get a near walnut match on hard maple? I've tried on scrap several coats of minwax and varathane "dark walnut" stain, and it comes out way too light. Any ideas? I've never used dyes, maybe this is the best way to go? I'd rather use the pre-fabbed maple hardware is possible, but I can make my own if needed. Much appreciated.

Thanks

Yes dye stains are the way to go on this job. LV sell powdered dyes that will get you where you want to go. Experiment with full strength solutions and don't sand past 150 or 180 grit prior to dying the maple.

Purple heart handles would be awesome! As the maple starts to be used as a vise handle you may start seeing the natual color again. Can we see pictures of your bench?
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    I've heard that an application of 10% nitric acid darkens most woods nicely. If you try this, please let us know what results you achieve!

Unrelated to the original subject, the discussion I heard about this acid-staining technique works remarkably well one woods that don't normally take a stain well -- pine and fir, especially. The trick is finding the stuff, because it does not seem to be available in most cities except in very large pails through commercial chemical companies. I have located it at Amazon.com, though.
    Last edited by Russell Neyman; 09-16-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Using chemicals to change colors is hit and miss, the results can be very inconsistent. Also these chemicals are dangerous. Another drawback is that the color change made with chemicals is not very color fast. They tend to fade rather quickly. I do not recommend this process.

A water soluible dye is much easier, more consistent and more colorfast..
    Last edited by Scott Holmes; 09-16-2011 at 8:36 PM.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    Using chemicals to change colors is hit and miss, the results can be very inconsistent. Also these chemicals are dangerous. Another drawback is that the color change made with chemicals is not very color fast. They tend to fade rather quickly. I do not recommend this process.

A water soluible dye is much easier, more consistent and more colorfast..
    Scott, your prompt response is appreciated. Have you tried the nitric acid? Particularly on pine? My understanding is that it's pretty good, and we all know how hard it is to get a finished look on that sort of wood.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."