Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Serious injury from a power carver....warning very graphic image

1. I truly appreciate the warning -- I've already sawed off a couple of finger tips.

The Lancelot in an angle grinder is scary for sure. I have one and I have used it only a couple of times. Even though I wore Kevlar gloves and a faceshield, and had no mishaps, I decided to not use it again until I get an angle grinder with a paddle-switch rather than a slide-switch. At least it will power down if it comes out of my grip. I'm pretty sure this is recommended in the instructions that came with the Lancelot. Even with a paddle-switch grinder, a lot of damage could happen before that cutter stops. Two hands is a must! Here's hoping Dennis heals quickly.

Some years ago we had a demo from a guy who used the Lanccalot and he show a nice scar on his forearm that was about 10" long. Not a pretty story there either.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I have one of these and they have a purpose, but that purpose is for fast removale of wood in a "ROUGHING OUT" type situation. With the speed and torque of an angle grinder is definitlely a 2 handed tool no matter what type of wheel is in it, I have been using them as long as I can remember and the worst thing that I ever had happen is sanding through a glove a little and giving myself a small grinder burn, and of course it was while doing a quick one handed touch up on a weld. But more on the lancelots, many of them are used by chainsaw carvers for more finesse carving on there big tree trunks as they work there magic. They are best used on the "FLAT" or with the wheel cutting more at a parrallel to the wood not perpendicular to the wood, thus like has been said it can kick back. Proxxon makes a smaller power carver that uses , I think a 2" version of the Lancelot that would be better suited for smaller carvings and it may have a variable speed control also, but not sure. But what I use are the "Kutzall" type burs that will fit in a dremel type tool or flex shaft tool. These come in many levels of coarseness and sizes and shapes so they can be used for many purposes with much better control.

Hope he heals well and quickly, someone was watching over him on that day! So like our wives, mothers and girlfriends tell us men.................Read and follow all directions and safety precautions!

Stay safe,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Simmons View Post
    I think you have a problem, stuff happens!! I am sorry that this person made a mistake, I wish him a speedy recovery, I think you need to get in a bubble!
    Dennis,

How is it that I "have a problem?" Those who choose to think a little more about safety after seeing this post, may be very well served...........those who may disregard it may certainly do so...........I always appreciate when someone tries to help me avoid a serious injury by telling me how theirs occurred in the wood shop. If you don't care to be reminded that is your business, but I don't think you should disdain someone for trying to help and say they "need to get in a bubble."
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 09-16-2011 at 10:26 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, I applaud your gentlemanly and well stated reply.

My best wishes go to Dennis Doebler as he begins the healing process.
    Bill

I think one built in problem with woodworking as a hobby is that we do not always learn all of the dangers and safe use of a tool before we begin.

Maybe there was something in the instructions for my $89 Ryobi table saw about kickback, but I missed it. Maybe there was something in my $39 Harbor Freight drill press instructions about a drill bit catching on a piece of un-anchored wood or metal, but I missed it. (I just checked. On the Ryobi table saw there are 50 general safety rules and 28 specific safety rules. It is difficult to read through those adequately to know what is background info and what is a specific active danger.) Over time, by reading books, magazines, and Sawmill Creek, we learn. But I, like many others, did not have a strict shop teacher (or any shop teacher) to hit me in the head with a board and get my attention.

I think we may need to actively point each other to safety videos, safety books and articles, and warning stories like this thread to help us protect ourselves.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    But I, like many others, did not have a strict shop teacher (or any shop teacher) to hit me in the head with a board and get my attention.
    Brian, I didn't either - no shop available in school - but, my first cheap table saw took care of the "hit me in the head with a board" part!!! I learned very quickly and in a demonstrative way about kickback!

As I drift into the autumn of life, I look back on all the woodworking and other activities in which I have engaged over the years - all without instruction, and all but the last 3-4 years without the benefit of the internet. I continue to be amazed that I have all of my fingers (small pieces missing here and there!), and both eyes. My attentiveness to safety has increased tenfold over the last decade or so - I realized long ago I am no longer invincible! I am pretty sure that in my 20's, I was convinced it was impossible for me to get seriously injured or die!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I am pretty sure that in my 20's, I was convinced it was impossible for me to get seriously injured or die!
    I'll tell ya John, I've done quite a bit of wood working in my 24 years, but it really wasn't until I started turning that I realized (read:cared) that if it came to a part of my body versus a piece of wood or metal, I'm not likely to be the winner. I honestly think taking a few cracks, smacks, and cuts in your young, foolish years is the best way to be more safety conscious in the future. It can really be difficult not to get caught up in the glory of making something with your hands and not sometimes throw safety to the wayside.

I own units with paddle switches the only issue is they still keep running for awhile but yes in the long run would be able to only cause so much damage then stop. Our prayers are there for a swift and full recovery.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Blog Entries
    I have a small grinder and took the tip of my finger off with the 2 inch version. It's still healing weeks later. Fortunately it grew back but the nerves are still a problem. My injury doesn't even close to this tragety but more evedence that this type of tool is highly dangerous. I haven't dug up my instructions for it yet but I'm going to contact the company and discuss ways to better inform the end user. While this tool will hog out material with a quickness, it'll do the same to you. There should be a warning when ever this tool is sold, posted by a retailer or shown in use. It's probably one of the most dangerous tools on the market.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Dennis,

How is it that I "have a problem?" Those who choose to think a little more about safety after seeing this post, may be very well served...........those who may disregard it may certainly do so...........I always appreciate when someone tries to help me avoid a serious injury by telling me how theirs occurred in the wood shop. If you don't care to be reminded that is your business, but I don't think you should disdain someone for trying to help and say they "need to get in a bubble."

Roger, I for one am grateful of your post. I shared it with our club today, to whom at least one member has a lancelot carver and was grateful to hear of the accident. While "stuff happens", it is important that EVERYONE know that it can happen to ANYONE!

To the person remarking on living in "a bubble", those remarks are completely inappropriate here, which is likely why your post is now absent from this thread. Having had some pretty awful "stuff" happen to me requiring major surgery, and am totally grateful of the reminders of what can happen with the tools we use. I am typically not afraid to share my opinion on most any subject, no matter whether critical or praise, but sometimes you have to remember that old parental phrase, "if you don't have anything nice to say, ....." You know the rest.

I wish a kind, speedy, and easy recovery to Mr. Doebler. I wish him strength and courage for the long and painful physical therapy that will ensue.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Brian, I didn't either - no shop available in school - but, my first cheap table saw took care of the "hit me in the head with a board" part!!! I learned very quickly and in a demonstrative way about kickback!
    That's funny, in a weird sort of way where it wasn't funny when it happened. My kickbacks hit me in the gut and fingers before I threw away the little Ryobi and bought a cabinet saw. That whole saw flexed. The fence was bent to about a 30° angle!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

14. Thank you Nate............I also truly hope Mr. Doebler does very well in his recovery. I appreciate your comments!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!