Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacement blades for #45 Combination Plane

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hartranft View Post
    See item 3.a. in following link. http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks.htm for hand-made / sharpened Stanley 45 blades.

Also, looks like Stanley still offers replacement blades. See http://yhst-14955502022428.stores.ya...mbination.html then click on one of the combination blade categories to get the drop-down menu of size/price of that type of Stanley 45 cutter.

Tom
    I'd be careful with the stanley site -- the blades for their last-gasp plow planes, plastic-handled versions of the #50, may not actually work in the 45. I have one of those up at my camp in VT, and I seem to recall their blades not fitting the 45. The 'bay lists cutter sets all the time, so that may be your best bet, even if it means picking up another 45 along with the cutters!

I bought a 1/4" cutter from stanley for a project and it fit well worked good (in poplar). I cut about 20' of 1/2" deep groove with it. I don't know how it would hold up in harder wood though. For 7 bucks it's worth a try.

Mark
    Bedroom Cabinet 011.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Dorman; 09-17-2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: added pic
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Maiers View Post
    ...many of the old Stanley blades I have are cupped along the length; is this caused by the tempering process?)
    I recall someone, on another forum some time back, or maybe it was elsewhere (brain like a steel colander anymore), suggesting that combination plane blades SHOULD be slightly curved, convex on the back (side opposite the bevel) so that, when the blade was clamped in place, it would bed properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    I recall someone, on another forum some time back suggesting that combination plane blades SHOULD be slightly curved, convex on the back (side opposite the bevel) so that, when the blade was clamped in place, it would bed properly.
    Yeah I know this thread is old, but I was searching for Stanley 45/Record 405 blades.

To affirm that Bill said, take a look at this page that shows the curvature of the blades, be it good or bad.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Blog Entries
    I'd be careful with the stanley site -- the blades for their last-gasp plow planes, plastic-handled versions of the #50, may not actually work in the 45.
    My #50 is pre-adjuster. The #45 blades are too long to work in my #50. The #50 blades might work in a #45, but they have a different adjuster.

The 'bay lists cutter sets all the time, so that may be your best bet, even if it means picking up another 45 along with the cutters!
    Sometimes it is handy to have a full set of blades and a second body with the #45. This allow for different set ups for a job without having to change back and forth.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)