Thread: Folding Workbench Plans

Folding Workbench Plans

I need a decent workbench. My folding table has about had it. Because I must use the garage for the vehicles when not making sawdust, I have everything on wheels. I am thinking a traditional style benchtop with vises, dog holes etc, but it will fold up and stand on end against the wall. Does anyone have a design or plans?

Thanks -- Kevin

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Somewhere down the road after my to-do list shrinks I'll probably build something along the same lines. I don't recall seeing plans for a folding bench. But I do recall seeing an article or two in the past where a standard maple benchtop with dog holes/vices/etc was attached longwise to a wall on hinges or a pivot. When the legs were removed it was folded up (or maybe down?) against the wall. I don't have enough open wall length between windows so this wont work for me, but maybe it's an option for you. I don't remember where I saw these, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure something out if you want to go that way.
    Use the fence Luke

Kevin, (and Doug), there is a Very nice plan that should fit your needs perfectly, (overall size could be changed to fit your requirements, if so desired) in Vol 12, Issue 72, of "ShopNotes", starting on Pg 22.

The Bench Top of this unit is 24" x 59 3/4", mounts flat to the wall, and folds down when not in use. It also has a nice 20" tall tool board on the wall above the bench, and a 3 section cabinet above the tool board.

Doug, maybe you could center a unit like this directly over one of the windows without affecting other windows, and get a nice bench without losing too much light?
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 02-24-2005 at 8:02 PM.

Here are a few pics of a nice fold up bench I found on the internet and exchanged email with the originator on how to build.

He was a very nice guy and helpful in many ways. I did not build this bench as my needs went beyond the scope of this design.

I have not posted pictures here before so I hope this works.

If you have interest in this design, I would be most happy to forward the email exchange to you which includes some addition pictures and text on how he built it.

Let's hope these come through for you......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for your input. I am thinking something free standing rather than attached to the wall. I want it to fold up and rest against the wall. Norm, I will try to get hold of a copy of Shop Notes. Bob, your design gave me some pretty good ideas. I may give that a try and just add another trestle leg.

-- Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Noles
    Here are a few pics of a nice fold up bench I found on the internet and exchanged email with the originator on how to build.

He was a very nice guy and helpful in many ways. I did not build this bench as my needs went beyond the scope of this design.

I have not posted pictures here before so I hope this works.

If you have interest in this design, I would be most happy to forward the email exchange to you which includes some addition pictures and text on how he built it.

Let's hope these come through for you......
    That's great! I love how he made the vise with pipe clamps!! Perfect for a tight budget!

Thanks for the great ideas!
    Always remember that you are unique...just like everybody else.

keven I have the shop notes send me a pm and I can send you picture Mike Stanton

Kevin,

Wood Magazine has a workbench design that has two big dropleaf wings. Closed the dimensions are around 36" by 19". Opened, they are 36" x 52". I built this and it works great. It would fit alongside the garage wall and allow me to get the car in (single car garage), if I would ever complete all my projects and clean the thing off! I added the vise and cut a hole in one wing for a router plate as well.

http://store.yahoo.com/woodstore/dropwor.html

I built the same "Wood" workbench Joanne refers to and do not know how I ever managed without it. It is portable and does have quite a bit of storage from each end with a small footprint when folded up.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Strait; 02-27-2005 at 10:29 AM. Reason: adding pics

After looking at that drop leaf design, it has given me some new thoughts on my upcoming router table project..... hmmm

Bob and John, couple of neat designs...
    Jerry

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you were looking for instructions on how to fold a set of plans....just goes to show how confusing written messages can be sometimes??
    Last edited by Randy Meijer; 02-27-2005 at 6:02 PM.

The Garrett Wade catalog has one that looks like a person could build without too much trouble. I didn't look but it's probably one there web site too.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Meijer
    When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you were looking for instructions on how to fold a set of plans....just goes to show how confusing written messages can be sometimes??
    LOL - Randy you're killing me!!!!

-- Kevin