Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Thou shalt not covet.....

"Thou shalt not covet.....

....thy neighbors tree!!!" This silver maple is in the front yard of friends of ours. I intended to post it before now, but kept forgetting to take a pics. I really should have waited a few weeks until the leaves fall as these pics do not tell the full story. It is covered in burls - all sides, and every limb. Every time I am over there, I lust after this thing. I am sure they would permit me to have it removed, and I have considered it. But, since it overhangs their house, the cost of having it removed by an insured company might be excessive. Ms. Keeton tells me I should check on it.

Recently, a small, dead limb with a burl in the fork of the limb fell from the tree. They saved it for me, but unfortunately it was rotten on the inside. I fear many of these burls may be deteriorating as the tree is starting to decline.

Just thought you guys might want to lust a little with me!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

John - looks to me that they would want to have it removed before it damages their home!! Ask them to save you the wood and you'll turn them a bowl or two!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Heck I think I would give it a shot. May work out. All you need to do is hook your truck to it and start pulling. I am sure it would not fall on the house.

Alan

maple is good, maple burl is better, understand your lust John, it would be hard to pass by such a tree on a regular basis

I'm thinking there is enough wood there to even send a bit to your friends north of the border...
    Quit lusting and get out that chainsaw....

Why don't you file a lawsuit on behalf of the neighbors claiming the tree is an eyesore and affecting their property values? I'm mean you went to all of that school, so why not put it to use? BTW, I get a chunk of that burl for thinking of such a devious plan!
    Last edited by David E Keller; 09-17-2011 at 7:50 PM.

Ah... gee... what would one or two little burls hurt? Just be sure to pick a nice dark night and get a good muffler for your chain saw. Who's gonna miss em? If you can't bring yourself to engage in such clandestine activities, I think I have a cousin living near you (witness protection program and all...) named Mario and I know he would do the job for you. Maybe for a bit of the burl. Like sixty percent... OK maybe seventy five. But still, you would get some burl and not have to lose any sleep right? And really, how long do ya think it's gonna be before that thing falls over on that guy's house? You'd be doing him a favor. Just think of all the hassle you would be saving him what with house repairs and fighting with the insurance company and my god, can you imagine how their homeowners policy rates are going to skyrocket once they make a claim like that? They would end up wishing they had let you have the tree anyway.
    David DeCristoforo

Yep David i think that might work out just fine.

9. I wonder if the good Lord would make an exception for coveting and lust in a case like this....................well, on second thought, maybe just asking permission from the owners might bring a favorable response and a little redemption as well!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

"I wonder if the good Lord would make an exception..."

No way Roger. It doesn't say "Thou shalt not covet....except..." If you're gonna covet, you are just going to have to deal with the ramifications.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Recently, a small, dead limb with a burl in the fork of the limb fell from the tree. They saved it for me, but unfortunately it was rotten on the inside. I fear many of these burls may be deteriorating as the tree is starting to decline.
    That is the unfortunate thing about maple...they often rot from the inside and you don't even realize until they start shedding branches or coming down in a big storm.

Beautiful tree!
    Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
    1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

Maybe a chain saw with a muffler in the middle of the night. No one would know how it fell. Cutting down a tree up here near a house is a minimum of $2000 and up. My wife's cousin had a big cottonwood taken down for $6000 but it was over 40" in diameter.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    John, I agree, the tree is deteriorating and is a hazard to their property. They should remove it immediately due to the its disease and certain risk to other trees. I feel that some one as qualified as you should inspect it upon it removal to insure the disease does not spread and destroy other trees.

Ok, the way I see it is that the whole "thou shall not covet" thing is kind of vague in this case. It says something about your neighbors house and wife, his slaves, his ox and his donkey. And then is goes on to say something about the other stuff that belongs to your neighbor. But it doesn't specifically say "thou shall not covet your neighbors tree". And besides, it's always easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Just approach it like eating an elephant, one bite at a time. A burl here, a burl there, they'll never miss them.

At the very least they should be happy to let you have at it...errr trim off some branches to lighten the load and reduce the chance of it blowing over in a storm. In fact, they'd probably be so happy for you to do that, that they'd pay you for it! I'm equitable for a 50/50 split
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.