Thread: Star Bond Ca glue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Star Bond Ca glue

I've been told that this brand is a prefered brand.Where is a good place to buy star bond CA?For attaching a tenon would you go with their thick or medium thick? thanks Rob

I have heard many good things about it as well. I believe it is only sold wholesale and to turning clubs/etc. Not sure about which to use for attaching tenons...I prefer hot glue, but I imagine medium thick should do the trick.

Try Google. I googled "Starbond CA Glue" and found several places that sell it for around $10.00 for a 2 Oz bottle.

After several failures early on, I quit using CA for attaching waste blocks - I assume that is what you are referring to when saying tenons. I now use 5 minute epoxy with much better results. It does take a few minutes longer, but one can always do something productive in that time frame.

I've never used Starbond, so I can't comment on the brand... I get all my CA from woodenwonderstx.com, and I use the thick for attaching waste blocks. I've had one or two let loose, but I only use them for small items and miniatures. I just got an 8oz bottle for about $16, and it works fine for me. I think over $25 ships free. I get my epoxy from the same place.

No affiliation other than as a satisfied customer.

I have used Starbond which you can buy direct. It is good glue and never had any trouble with it. I use a lot of CA and find the EZ Bond works just as well and is a bit cheaper. I buy mine from here. This the same place David gets his. http://woodenwonderstx.com/ZC_WoodenWonders/ I have been using it for a long time with no trouble at all and he is free shipping on anything over $20.

Good Luck

Alan

If you dig deep and find the number of CA manufactures there are not that many who actually mix the chemicals and create mass quantities of the stuff. I have found places where you can buy big containers the size of a 4'x4'x4' cube holding many hundreds of gallons of the stuff. These are then bought wholesale and rebottled my any number of companies putting their own "Brand name" on the labels. I have tried a few different brands and most work identical to the other, some are a little different in their Viscosity from one to the other. The CA that Titebond sells is different in some way as some other accelerators I have don't work as well. But the Woodenwonders brand is my go to for its price and customer service is excellent. I used to buy the Rockler brand and you can't tell the difference, I used to get the "Hot Stuff" labeled CA when I first started using it but that was for building model planes and boats etc and it works the same as far as I can tell.

But like John said I don't use CA for waste or sacrificial blocks, I use titebond and turn the next day, but I hardly ever use waste blocks so it is not very relevent in my turnings.

Price is my first priority, then customer service and the size of bottle I can get comes next, CA is CA and each thickness have longer or shorter open times and the "Flexible" types I have not tried so I have no knowledge of them.

Keep your fingers out of it though, or you may end up scratching your nose for an extended period of time!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Don't know if anyone else does this, but on advisement from a very well known turner.... I was told to attach a waste block / tenon with Tightbond 2 with a piece of newspaper inbetween the blank and the waste piece. Takes a little time for it to set, BUT it wont break loose while turning very easily. And when your ready all it takes it a sharp wood chisel and a gentle tap of a mallet at the glue line and it pops right apart.

I admittingly dont find the need to use a glued on tenon or waste block all that often, but when I need it.... that is the only way I would do it.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Don't know if anyone else does this, but on advisement from a very well known turner.... I was told to attach a waste block / tenon with Tightbond 2 with a piece of newspaper inbetween the blank and the waste piece. Takes a little time for it to set, BUT it wont break loose while turning very easily. And when your ready all it takes it a sharp wood chisel and a gentle tap of a mallet at the glue line and it pops right apart.

I admittingly dont find the need to use a glued on tenon or waste block all that often, but when I need it.... that is the only way I would do it.
    I tried that a few times Scott...it seemed to work well. I have had CA fail to many times on seemingly easy things to hold so I went back to TB3 for small assembly and expoy for waste blocks. I really do get a wave of fear when using waste blocks...we see the results of industrial accidents in ER all the time, and with the rash of turning accidents lately, I seem to error on the side of caution.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I guess I may be in the minority of people who use hot glue on waste blocks. I have used Titebond but I'm usually a bit too spontaneous with my turning to wait for it to set. Whereas hot glue is ready to go on in a few minutes and takes less time to set. I've probably used it on 30+ pieces so far and have never had a piece pop off the tenon. In fact, I've had pieces of wood break into and the glue never moves. Plus, it's not that hard to pop off with a chisel and hammer.