Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting up a Clearvue

Setting up a Clearvue

I got this Clearvue almost a year ago but haven't had the chance to set it up.
    Finally started the process of putting it together. Since my shop is in the basement, to keep the peace in the family decided to build a closet to enclose this monster and reduce the roaming sound. I used the left-over OSB sheets of the crate of shipping my J/P combo for this project. First, built the frames then the OSB on top (the outside dimensions are 32"x48"). As the height of the cyclone is slightly larger than my ceiling in the basement had to locate the motor between the joists:

cyc1.jpgcyc2.jpg

I used 3" Roxul bats for sound proofing, then covered it all with a thick fabric so that the air coming out of the closet doesn't contain little pieces of the insulation.
    I also made the exhaust on the top so that the air passes the motor before coming out from the top (to help cool down the motor too).

cyc3.jpgcyc4.jpg

Lifting the motor and installing the impeller by myself was the most difficult job (the manual does say that it's a two man job). Finding a good size bin (not too tall and not too small) was difficult. So I built a bin myself. Also built (out of acrylic clear sheet) a dust pan with clean-out port at the bottom of filters):

cyc5.jpgcyc6.jpgcyc7.jpgcyc9.jpg

To continue...

To get this run had to redo my wiring. The nice switch you see in the picture below as well as a small fuse in the box next to it are courtesy of Rod (Thanks Rod!!).
    I've used a big relay which is activated using a simple 110v X10 transiver with pocket remotes:

cyc9.jpgcyc10.jpgcyc8.jpgcyc11.jpgcyc12.jpg

The closet works great in reducing the sound. When the door is closed it is not louder than my previous 1.5HP DC; but this is without ducting. I suppose ducting will increase the sound, but will see.

This is not done yet: what are left to do are:

- ducting

- Adding a light sensor which warns me when the bin is full to prevent from over-fill and making a mess at filters. I've got the part for this and shouldn't take long.

Will update this once these two steps are done.

Congrats on your CV install. I thought that I was the only one who had it lay around for a year before set-up. Welcome to the procrastinators club (hah). Nicely done. I like the motor cooling and the idea about covering the Roxul. Best of luck.

Paul

Always interested in seeing what people are doing to reduce noise with their cyclones. The noise from my 2.5hp Oneida in a 2-car garage is mind numbing, as I am sure yours was also. Great job on your closet. Cool dust bin as well.

Very nice, especially the bin. Wings on the bolts would make it easier to get the top off, do you mind if I steal the idea?
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Nice install, some great ideas put into action. Like the motor cooling also, the bin looks top notch!
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Thanks all for the comments. I wanted to build the bin out of plexiglass but couldn't justify the $50 or so price tag. Ended up using 24gauge galvanzed sheet, all in all about $20-25 of material.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Very nice, especially the bin. Wings on the bolts would make it easier to get the top off, do you mind if I steal the idea?
    I have planed to replace the bolts with knobs, just haven't had the chance to stop by Lee Valley and get some of them (way too busy with work and other stuff). Was lucky to get this done.

Just a little more info: the top and the ring around it are from the same piece, just cut the hole (for the top) at a slight angle on the scroll saw and then installed weather proofing strips, so when you put the top/lid on it's place and tighten those bolts it becomes air tight; oh yes, use a lot of caulking around all the seems to make it air tight!

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CYDRUM35.html

I found the above dust bin for my basement ClearVue cyclone. 35 gallons capacity but only 21" high.

I can see wanting to get rid of the noise, but I always thought being able to see the stuff swirling around and dropping out was one of the best features of the Clearvue...
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 09-20-2011 at 9:01 AM. Reason: typo

Very nice and neat, Mreza. Have fun with all the ducting!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wunder View Post
    http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CYDRUM35.html

I found the above dust bin for my basement ClearVue cyclone. 35 gallons capacity but only 21" high.
    Thanks Paul. Being in Canada, getting it here wasn't very economical. Mine at 24" diameter and 24" height is just over 45 gallons (making maximum use of space).

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Thanks all for the comments. I wanted to build the bin out of plexiglass but couldn't justify the $50 or so price tag. Ended up using 24gauge galvanzed sheet, all in all about $20-25 of material.

I have planed to replace the bolts with knobs, just haven't had the chance to stop by Lee Valley and get some of them (way too busy with work and other stuff). Was lucky to get this done.

Just a little more info: the top and the ring around it are from the same piece, just cut the hole (for the top) at a slight angle on the scroll saw and then installed weather proofing strips, so when you put the top/lid on it's place and tighten those bolts it becomes air tight; oh yes, use a lot of caulking around all the seems to make it air tight!
    I would use quick release toggle clamps to hold the lid down.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Fibre barrels like those used by other manufacturers are available very reasonably from packaging distributors - Uniline being one of them in Canada.

Everyone is missing the big point here.

You had this for a year before setting it up? I buy a bottle of glue and open it up within ten minutes after it gets delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    Fibre barrels like those used by other manufacturers are available very reasonably from packaging distributors - Uniline being one of them in Canada.
    Yeah, my wife had a saddle shipped to us in one of those round cardboard boxes, with metal around the bottom rim and top rim. Has a great locking lid, too!
    I drink, therefore I am.