Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick Lawn Help Please!

Brian,

Another thing you might consider is to use a rake (the kind with the hard tines, not a leaf rake) to blend the areas that are soil with the surrounding turf. You don't say what type of turf you have so I'm assuming it is tall fescue like most of the yards in SD County. The raking will help even out the bare spots and make the use of the hand roller a little more effective. Make sure that you use a good topping mix when you put down your seed, which should also be of good quality. Hydroscape in Escondido is a good place to get both the seed and the topping mix. I'd use the roller again once you get the seed and topping mix down to make sure you have a good planting. Make sure you keep the planted areas wet during the heat of the day and don't let them dry out until the seed starts to sprout.

Mark

Good advice so far, Brian.

We just had 160 people in our back yard for a wedding reception. My yard has a lot of clay too. You might want to hold off on the watering for 5-6 days, as the clay holds it a long time. We held off for three days, but they were 103 degree days. No problems.

Rick Potter

I had a similar problem with a portion of my lawn. I think that you have to eliminate the boring problem or it will keep happening. Moles and Voles feed on Grub worms. I think gophers do also (But not positive). So you have to eliminate the food source. I purchased a bag of grub killer for about $15 that would treat about 5,000 square feet. Spread it out and watered it in and problem solved. Oh! this is not a big box store item, I got it at an agriculture chemical supply store.
    Good luck,

Dave

Thank you for the new info about grub worms. I never heard about that one.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Brian, If your lawn are open [no trees or buildings ] talk to any of your friends that own dune buggies or 4x4 pickup trucks and ask them to pack the soil down for you

Well you have plenty of options yet and you can do what is you are want to do.You can put and grow up the fresh grass.It will must help you to best.If you don't want to grow.So,you can put some synthetic grass mats which make your lawn so good for the wedding and it would also be really good for you and gives you the multiple benefits for you.

Blog Entries
    Have you considered a powered sod cutter? Cut the lawn into strips, roll, and then prepare the dirt (box blade on the back of a mower or small tractor). Roll the turf back into place and you've got a flat lawn.

Check the date on the post! The wedding is long over, and the happy couple have already celebrated their first anniversary.