Thread: Finishing Natural Edge Bowls

Finishing Natural Edge Bowls

I'm working on my first natural edge dogwood burl bowl. I rough turned the bowl several months back and I'm ready to complete the bowl.

My question is:
    What finish or combination of finishes should I use, something that will help stabilize the bark, something that will look natural on the bark, not built up on the bark? I would like a nice semi gloss finish.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
    Dale

Dale;
    I don't treat the bark any differently than the rest of the bowl as far as finish is concerned. Once you've selected the finish just put it on the entire bowl.

Dale I also don't treat the bark any differently than the bowl. I use a oil finish (minwax antique oil) or Waterlox on the one's I have turned. I just like the feel of a oil finish. It will also stablize the bark somewhat.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    It the bark is somewhat unstable try CA glue. It will usually stabilize it enough so that you can buff it, too.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."