Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table saw bog down

Table saw bog down

I have a 10" general 650 3 hp cabinet saw. Never had any problems until this weekend. Attempted to make a 30" rip cut at a 15 degree angle through a 1.5" thick piece of red oak. I was using a Forrest 10" thin blade (my normal blade). Unlike most of my rip cuts, this cut took forever. the resulting cut surfaces were seriously burned.
    I'm thinking either the blade is too thin, or the 3 hp isn't as powerful as I thought.
    Any suggestions?

The wood isn't pinching the blade is it? Do you have a splitter, using featherboards, etc? Is the blade clean and free of pitch?

I think you've got a dull rip blade. My zipcode saw never has a problem until the blade needs cleaning/sharpening and it's 1.5hp.

Check blade / fence alignment

I stalled my table saw blade during a resaw after moving the saw a little ways in the garage. Burned the belt, charred the pulleys, etc.

Had to take a few hours to clean and re-align everything and now it cuts fine again!

Oh, it's a contractor saw so really not in the same league as yours...
    Brian

I'm gonna vote for the blade or splitter (if you're using one) being slightly out of alignment.

I have a hybrid 1.75hp saw on 110v that rips 2" red oak fairly easily even with a 50t combo blade with a 1/8" kerf.

My saw would bog down when I did heavy cutting due to too long a run of the power cord. Went to #10 wire and my problem was solved.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    My saw would bog down when I did heavy cutting due to too long a run of the power cord. Went to #10 wire and my problem was solved.
    Good advise, David. Not just for this thread but on many tools. My PC portable compressor, for one.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    The nice folks here hit a lot of my thoughts:
    - proper power hookup.
    - sharp 24 tooth blade
    - splitter
    - good alignment (a perfect setup at 90* does not mean a perfect setup at 15*. If you haven't checked alignment at bevel, do so).

Keep us informed. This kind of thing helps us all ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You buried the Forrest (probably 40 T) in 1.5 inch wood at a 15* angle which means the blade was actually contacting about 2" of stock at that angle. You have plenty of power to do that 2" cut so.. I think you may have a dull blade.. gummed up blade or just too many teeth in contact with 2" of contact.

Or a combination of things including these that may have already been mentioned. If you are not using a 24 T rip blade you probably should be in this case as you don't have enough gullet to remove all the waste ripping with the grain in 2" thick stock.

Good luck..

Sarge..
    Last edited by John Thompson; 05-27-2009 at 12:10 AM.

No to the pinching, and yes to everything else.

Blog Entries
    I had a similar problem a while back with my bandsaw. the problem turned out to be loose belts. Check your belt tension.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I would check the belt as has been stated...

Now don't hate me for this question but is the balde on backwards. I have see this happen, don't as when or were but I have seen it.

Sounds like maybe the blade is not aligned perfectly with the fence. Or maybe the splitter needs aligning with the blade (if you're using one). Or the blade is dull.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick ramsey View Post
    I have a 10" general 650 3 hp cabinet saw. Never had any problems until this weekend. Attempted to make a 30" rip cut at a 15 degree angle through a 1.5" thick piece of red oak. I was using a Forrest 10" thin blade (my normal blade). Unlike most of my rip cuts, this cut took forever. the resulting cut surfaces were seriously burned.
    I'm thinking either the blade is too thin, or the 3 hp isn't as powerful as I thought.
    Any suggestions?

The first thing I would try is cleaning the blade. You've got plenty of power, especially with a Forrest TK (assuming it's a 40T WWII). I'm also assuming the work piece is flat and straight?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    The wood isn't pinching the blade is it? Do you have a splitter, using featherboards, etc? Is the blade clean and free of pitch?
    No the wood was not pinching. I do have aqsplitter, am using a featherboard, the blade was clean - isn't now because of the burning.