Thread: solidworks

solidworks

Any one using solidworks for wood design and prototyping?

Blog Entries
    Probably not too many... that's an expensive tool to use for generic woodworking, and there are a number of tools out there that fill some of the niche markets (like cabinet making software). If someone is using SW, it's likely because they already have a seat in house due to other work.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Yeah I kinda figured. I have access to a seat and have been playing with it a bit. Its some pretty amazing software. I was hoping somebody might have some pointers for setting it up for wood use. I'm not sure if I will pursue using it for my designs or not, but it has some definite advantages for the type of stuff I'm designing.

The real benefit to SolidWorks is not so much that it is 3D modeling, but what you can do with the 3D model once you create it as far as simulation and analysis. With wood, you're really not going to be getting into all of that - calculating out the forces and stresses and all on a wood object the way you would in metal or composites. So I agree with Dan that the SW users using it for wood projects are likely the users using it predominantly for other things but when faced with a woodworking project use what they know.

We use Solidworks for furniture design, it is awesome. A standard seat costs less than AutoCad. It is very powerful but it is a commitment to learn and use. Once one get through it, it will change your life. It is particulary powerful if you have a CNC with a software like MasterCam. I can't even explain how much better and more accurate my furniture designs are since I starting using it.

I finally made the switch about 2 years ago, I have been an AutoCAD user since 1992 and still have a current seat.

People may say it's expensive, but if you have $100k in shop equipment you need clean designs to feed to the shop. Don't be shortsighted with your software decisions. There is a reason, most large companies use 3D modeling software.
    Grothouse Lumber Company
    Andi Stratus Pro, ILS12.150, Solidworks 2012, AutoCad 2012, MasterCam X6, Coreldraw X6

I use SW for most of my designs. I think it works great for wood working.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use Solidworks at work for metal cutting industry. As a result, we are allowed a home install on the same license, legally.

I play around with it at home for some wood related stuff. Mostly so I can learn it and practice it at MY pace.

It is awesome CAD, but at lot to handle, and more than I need for wooden things.

I have been on AutoCad since 1992 version 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 or so. Solidworks is far more than that.