Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New General Table Saw & member (photos)

New General Table Saw & member (photos)

Hello all,

First a big THANK YOU for all that are making this forum such a pleasure to attend. My name is Kent and I began my woodworking journey apprenticing as a woodboat builder. After leaving the yard, I worked for myself repairing and doing alterations to boats and eventually specializing in full and partial boat interiors. About 18 years ago I took a slight tack and began inspecting vessels which in the marine industry is called a marine surveyor/consultant.

I still have a tremendous need to create and also have a detached "2 car" shop, so....after three years have managed to finally empty the junk and make way for my sanctuary.

First big purchase is a General International 50-260. (Taiwan made) Really pleased with the overall quality, finish and machining of the table top. Oddly enough the Canadian fence, which is just like a Biesmeyer I had, is not square to the table on the left side, only the right side. (see photos if they show up). I am in discussion with my supplier who has inform the regional General rep. Just waiting for a call to see about getting a new fence.
    Anyone ever check theirs for square?

More on the saw after its up and running.

KP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice saw. I'm not sure how the face attaches to the fence but you should be able to shim the fence back to square. The fence on my old Powermatic had a spot where the fence was out and I took off the face, filed off some burrs and shimmed the fence into place, it was dead on after that. Ah the joys of commissioning a new machine.

Welcome Kent

I see that this is only your second posting here Kent. What a great way to start off.

Sorry to hear about the problems with your fence. I have heard that General is good about fixing problems like this, so I think that things will work out for you in the end. But, it is a pain to experience things like this.

I will be installing a similiar fence on my new General-650 table saw next week and I will be sure to check it right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson
    Nice saw. I'm not sure how the face attaches to the fence but you should be able to shim the fence back to square.

Steve,
    The General fence, like the Biesmeyer has multi-lam plywood faces that are machine screwed to the painted steel extrusion that makes up the fence. A plastic laminate is then glued to the plywood and trimed on its upper/fore and aft edges. You would have to un-glue (damage) the laminate to shim.

I could but, I'll wait

KP
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 02-26-2005 at 7:56 AM.

Nice purchase there Kent! Is that a "case" of bubbly I see on the shop floor? Frank Pellow needs to take note of the amount of that stuff you bought for the help. I bet Frank needs many more cases of long neck to get his stuff moved from the garage to the shop

Nice to meetcha' Kent. You have areal nice TS there. I can't help you with the fence issue. Just wanted to say welcome to SawMill Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    Nice purchase there Kent! Is that a "case" of bubbly I see on the shop floor? Frank Pellow needs to take note of the amount of that stuff you bought for the help. I bet Frank needs many more cases of long neck to get his stuff moved from the garage to the shop
    Jim, I trust that you mean AFTER the move and set-up of my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Parker
    The General fence, like the Biesmeyer has multi-lam plywood faces that are machine screwed to the painted steel extrusion that makes up the fence. A plastic laminate is then glued to the plywood and trimed on its upper/fore and aft edges. You would have to un-glue (damage) the laminate to shim.
    That bites. Almost all of the other manufacturers have changed to another mounting method, it's a real shame your fence uses the orginal mounting method

Kent,
    Welcome aboard! sorry to hear about your fence problem. Though I believe that General has a good reputation for taking care of this kind of thing. Hey and congratulations on getting that space cleared for your sanctuary. enjoy it!
    John

Kent,

Welcome to Saw Mill Creek, you are soon to find out that this is the best danged WW forum on the net! Great people, great mods and great stories, gotta love it!

Congrats on the saw, after General fixes you up, you will be glad that you waited for a Perfect saw

Hey Frank it's your party Just so long as you get it moved by 12 I think you'll be alright

Kent,
    There are a couple of teflon guides under the fence rail lock angle. If one is missing or damaged it could explain your problem. Take it off and flip it over and inspect it.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    Jim,

I..uhh,, yes that's a case of spent wine. (I'm in Napa ) I had forgotten it was in the photo, dead give away.....

I use the wine bottles to make water glasses. I've got a 24" lapidary saw (rock saw) which cuts through very nicely and then I finish off the edges with a water fed diamond grinding well.

Cheers

kp

Welcome Kent...beautiful saw you have there.

That's one General worthy of a salute. Welcome to the creek.
    Use the fence Luke