Thread: Mobile base for cabinet saw w 50" fence - extension for legs needed?

Mobile base for cabinet saw w 50" fence - extension for legs needed?

I have a cabinet saw on a Delta Mobile base. Only have the 'short' rails. I've got a bigger garage now and want to upgrade to a 50" fence for the saw. Can I use the same mobile base? It doesn't have the extension piece on it, but as long as I properly support the legs on the table to the right of the saw when the base not engaged (i.e. wheel is up) can I use the base I have today?

Reason I ask is the base w/ the extension for the legs just doesn't seem like it's supporting the table extension/legs very much if at all. It looks (from pictures) like it's only purpose is to give the extension legs a solid footing when the base is not engaged. I would like to have the space under the extension available for a mobile shop cart/storage. But can't do this if the mobile base extensions for the legs are on.

So looking for 'guidance' - Is the mobile base extension for the legs really necessary to move the saw around as long as the legs properly support the table saw table when it's in use??

Thanks,

Perry

A rolling filing cabinet does a very nice job of supporting mine, and provides blade storage and more.It was 20 bucks at the used office supply warehouse, and barely needed shimming.

Depending on the type of top extension, the saw may be side heavy and try to tip over while moving it if the extension isn't supported.

John

Spend the money on a Festool track saw to cut your sheet goods. You'll enjoy the extra space.

Perry,

I have a cabinet saw with 50" rails on a mobile base. I used the HF mobile base but instead of using wood pieces to connect the base corners I used square steel. On the extension side I used angle iron to extend the wheel out far enough to be able to easily manipulate it for moving the saw. The support legs for the table extension are not supported by the base in my setup. I do have to lift up on the front and back rails to get the extension legs off the floor to move the saw; it does take a little effort to lift due to the mass involved, but the saw moves easily for the 15 or 20 feet I need to move it. Once in position, the setup is rock solid.

Mark

Thanks Mark - that's what I needed to know.

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    Depending on the type of top extension, the saw may be side heavy and try to tip over while moving it if the extension isn't supported.

John
    What John said. I don't think mine is sitting much on the extension legs. Maybe just put wheels on the extension legs.

I am going to be the dissenting voice here. I didn't want my legs to be separate from the base b/c my floor is not perfectly level: meaning that the table may bow, cup, or twist as I moved it around the shop.

I went with a solution where the entire saw & leg were supported on a rigid frame never contact the ground. It was a little more steel and a few welds but I'll never have to worry about it getting un-level. Eventually I'll build a small cabinet that fits into the open frame to the right of the saw that will act as a router table and store bits and blade and other things.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Outrigger support is what you make of it. I like what Brian has done, and there are very few level floors. Whatever you do, don't subject yourself to a tip over.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.