Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Marquetry Project

Hello Sean, Noticed you said you scored an eclipse scroll saw. Did you buy new or find a deal on a used one? How do you like it. I have ordered one but it is taking forever (7 months) to get it built and shipped.

Great piece Mike. I also have the Schurch DVD's and liked them. I am anxious to try out a marquetry project.

~Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    That looks fantastic!

It's inspiring too, as I'm embarking on my marquetry oddysey these days too. I just scored an eclipse scroll saw and have assembled a vacuum press. I'll be ready for my first experiments soon. I should hope to do a fraction as well as you have here!

Bythe way, I bought the Gramercy Veneer saw, and am blown away by how much better it is to use than the light little classic offset models. If you haven't tried one, I recommend it highly - like the difference between using a no name pot metal 70's Stanley plane and a LN or infill!
    Thanks for your comments, Sean. I went and looked at the Gramercy veneer saws. They come in a variety of blade styles. Which one did you buy?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Thanks for your comments, Sean. I went and looked at the Gramercy veneer saws. They come in a variety of blade styles. Which one did you buy?

Mike

Mike Fine Woodworking Magazine just commented on these same saws in their latest edition and had good comments about them. They talked about the two blades but I can remember what they said as to the best one (I was looking at it at a store) but I do remember them stating a description of each blade and what each one is best for different uses. Maybe someone that gets FWM will chime in?

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Second Marquetry Panel

Here's another marquetry panel I'm doing in preparation for my class in November. On this one, I did the drawing myself, based on a picture of a water lily flower I found on the web. There's several problems with this piece: the lily pads should show more depth, which I could have done by darkening the pads in the background, I should have used a darker green veneer for the pads, and I should have put a black strip between the yellow banding and the maple border, but I thought the flower and it's reflection came out well. But it's a learning process.

The picture's not the best, either. The flash kind of blasted the panel.

The background is dyed black veneer, the pads are dyed green veneer, the flower petals are holly, the center of the flower is dyed yellow veneer, the reflection is dyed gray veneer, and the border is figured maple. The back is done in two pieces of bookmarked figured maple.

Mike
    Marquetry-tray-06.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-18-2011 at 12:43 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.