Thread: Router question

Router question

I recently added a new router mount to my CNC so I could use a larger router. In this case a DW618. The router performs spledid with lots of reserve power and runs very smooth.

If you look at this vid you can see the setup.

The down side is that the router blows air straight down thus, defeating the dust collection. Its bad enough that Im looking at moving back to my MFK700.

Every large router I own cools in the same way. I think I now know another advantage a water cooled spindle.

Michael...
    It looks like you need to kick up the dust collection a notch. Especially when cutting MDF. It looks like you have about 10 times the cross sectional area on the foot as you have on the collector hose. Therefore 90% reduction in velocity. You should either install a real dust collector with 4" hose (and it might work with your dustfoot, but I am skeptical) or use a very small foot with the present hose. Most shop Vacs do not have a high enough duty cycle for continuous use, and short files like your video may be no problem, but longer ones could burn down a cheap shopvac.

Those that cut aggressively (and those who like to breath when they are old) know that proper DC is a must. 400-600 CFM is minimum recommended for CNC use. Because I cut MDF and other toxic materials, I use 1100 cfm, as anything less becomes inneffective when speeds get over 500 ipm, especially with 3/8 bits.

Virtually every router or spindle I have seen uses downflow cooling. Upflow would clog the fan with chips from cutting.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Gary That looks like a Fein dust collector they are made to run for hours. But a bigger unit would be better then he could use the Fein for vac hold down.

Jerome...
    IF it is a Fein, then it doesnt fall into the duty cycle category, but it is made to collect dust from a hand tool, ie router, sander, etc, not a CNC. Very unlikely that they flow 100 cfm.
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

I put one of Kent's deflectors (www.kentcnc.net) on my Hitachi M12VC. I also use a 5hp dust collector with a 5" spiral line to the middle of the ceiling above the machine and a 4" flex hose drop to the shoe.

I also use one of Kent's dust shoes

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

The problem is not the dust pickup from the Fien. Its the amount of freaking air being blown out by the router. No vacume is going to overcome that. I have a monster shop cyclone system. But my ceieling clearence precludes its use on my CNC.

On my MFK700 removing the same amount of material, the vacume manages to keep about 99.9% of the dust out of the air.

I like the idea of deflecting the air on the DW618. I will have to look into that. I think I can make a dust shoe that deflects the air outside the shoe yet has a smaller pickup area. That is the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Simpson Virgina View Post
    The problem is not the dust pickup from the Fien. Its the amount of freaking air being blown out by the router. No vacume is going to overcome that.
    So Michael your saying your Dewalt router's fan moves more air that a full size bag dust collector...I don't think so. As Gary mentions you need a larger hose and a larger DC moving a larger volume of air. Also a different dust shroud skirt would help, one that's not as long & flexible as shown in your video. I've found the brush type as shown in Mike's post work well.

Neal

Michael...
    I agree with Neal. The bigger and more powerful the router the bigger the fan. My HSD 5hp ATC spindle uses a 6" high velocity fan that sounds like a 24". I also have a 90psi 7cfm air supply that cools the lower ceramic bearings. My dust food design deflects, and does not restrict, both of these air flows away from the cutting area. This is really only needed when cutting small or 3D parts that DC is not used on.

Short version is that it seems that you cannot use the same design for both routers. But thats not the fault of the router fan. Mfgrs dont put more fan on than it takes to cool the tool. All air cooled routers or spindles have downdraft cooling. You need to design a dustfoot around the router. The more rigid bristles are a good solution, and they come in a variety of lengths. Most of my designs use them with great success. And again reiterate the need for much greater flow than the Fein supplies.

Here is a link to a version that I sold over 30 of: http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1#p/u/4/eNOwXWgFgb4 It may give you some ideas.
    Last edited by Gary Campbell; 09-29-2011 at 3:04 PM.
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Thanks for the replies. It made me rethink a few things. First I new I could effectively keep the dust out of the air with the size hose I am using. I know cause I have done it with other routers. But they vented through the sides not the bottom of the router. After reading your posts it became clear I needed to divert the air flow from the router cooling system.

Also that monster dust shroud was too long, like you said. It was also too large.

So I created this thing I call the Air Exchange. It deflects the router air out the sides and rear. It also allowed me to get my shroud closer to the surface and smaller.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words and a video is worth 10,000 here is my design.

Pretty much picks up most everything like before. No more airborne dust. Just a little along the edges and inside deep cuts.

I would never move to my large Cyclone. That thing shakes the whole house when it runs. The Fien is quiet and can run all day. The hose I am using is actually a Porter cable router hose. Later I will move up a few sizes if I need to, as I have some nice Fien and Festool hoses. I just don’t think there is a need to move to a 4” hose.

I want to stick with making my own shrouds so I can slip on a small one real small PCB work, and a large one for Hogging. I also need a special one for my Amana Vbit inserts. As it has a really long extended length.

Where is a inexpensive source for various length brush strips I could use to make my own brush shrouds?

FYI the magnetic connect works almost too well It’s a real pain getting the shroud off. I think I will add a special tab to the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Simpson Virgina View Post

Where is a inexpensive source for various length brush strips I could use to make my own brush shrouds?
    McMaster Carr
    Gerry

JointCAM

I just created a new magnetic shourd. I used two layers of a thicker material. Much stiffer. Its also a little wider and a little shorter. Dowes a good job of collecting dust. I have a routine I run where it sweeps the CNC cutting table and cleans any dust thats on the table.

The next step is ro design the exchanger directly into the router mount. I also have to come up with a way of attaching accessories like my pen plotter.

dustc1.jpg

I ordered some nylon brush strips to experiment with.

The idea of running g-code to sweep and clean the table is just brilliant !! What an obvious solution that I would have never thought of. Also great idea using magnets as a quick mounting system. Thanks for sharing -Vinny
    24'' vinyl plotter, Roland VersaCamm 30'' printer, WinXP, 25'' Laminator, Corel 8 & 10, Illy10, Photoshop 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Gavigan View Post
    Also great idea using magnets as a quick mounting system, Kent. Thanks for sharing -Vinny
    Fixt. Great idea Kent!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.