Thread: Onstar is due, Any way to get discounts?

Onstar is due, Any way to get discounts?

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Threaten to go to the competi....uh, never mind.

I know with Sirius, I keep getting better and better deals to try to entice me to come back. And the longer I don't have it the more I don't miss it one bit.

You might want to read this before you renew: http://epautos.com/2011/09/27/gm-is-...rding-you-too/
    I would not want it myself.
    Dave

The problem with Onstar lately is the idea that your travelling data could be sold to a third party without your knowledge even if you discontinue the service. The transmitter continues to upload data all the time, subscription or no subscription which is an invasion of privacy. But the very idea of privacy is old-fashioned anyway. The only sure way to stop transmission of data is to pull the fuse to the transmitter. But the very idea that GM will, at their whim play fast an loose with customers data tells me that ethics are of no importance. Does the customer ever count for anything in the end?
    Last edited by Chuck Wintle; 09-28-2011 at 5:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dave toney View Post
    You might want to read this before you renew: http://epautos.com/2011/09/27/gm-is-...rding-you-too/
    I would not want it myself.
    Dave
    Yep after seeing the new terms of service I called to opt out of tracking and then pulled the fuse for the on-star unit.
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

I had OnStar in my car - the service came for a year free with the car. When it came time to renew, I couldn't think of a reason to renew. I have GPS for navigation, and I can use my iPhone to find restaurants near my location, and if I'm in a crash, I'm sure someone will call 911 if I'm unable to.

So, for those who subscribe to OnStar, what am I missing? What value does it bring to you?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

New release that OnStar will not be doing that.

DETROIT – OnStar announced today it is reversing its proposed Terms and Conditions policy changes and will not keep a data connection to customers’ vehicles after the OnStar service is canceled.
    "Chaos is the law of nature. Order is the dream of man."
    Wallace Stegner

[QUOTE=Gary Redden;1782189]New release that OnStar will not be doing that.

Right and if you put you use windows email you won't get any spam

I had it on my truck, and I just did not like the very idea that I could be found at any time. Sometimes I want to be lost.....

I don't like that they can shut your car off at any time.

I really don't like when they start talking to you out of the blue when you are driving. Damn near wrecked my truck when they scared the daylights out of me asking me to sign up. Mine was expired and all of a sudden someone is talking to me through the radio, and the radio was off! No thanks.

I suppose all cars will have it some day, but I'll just drive nice old cars and trucks that don't.

From my experiance with that truck GM should put some money into the things that make a truck a truck, and forget the stupid gadgets. On the other hand the truck was always broken, so maybe it needs OnStar.......

Larry

The onstar is on my 80+ Moms car. Very easy for her to just press a button for help.
    If they start tracking her the world will know she goes to church on Sunday and bingo twice a week. How will she ever face the scandal. LOL!!!

In this case I kinda like the idea of being able to track the car.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Redden View Post
    New release that OnStar will not be doing that.

DETROIT – OnStar announced today it is reversing its proposed Terms and Conditions policy changes and will not keep a data connection to customers’ vehicles after the OnStar service is canceled.
    I may be a cynic, but I believe that about as much as I believe Facebook made a mistake and accidentally had their tracking cookies following everyones' web history and reporting it to them.

If they can make money acquiring the data and selling it, they'll change the terms and conditions for a very short period of time, if at all, and then they'll be changed back in the fine print of some other "unrelated" future change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Since nobody answered your question, (which happens all too often around here) buy another vehicle for the free trial.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

You people belive what you want as that seems to be what you want to do anyhow...
    "Chaos is the law of nature. Order is the dream of man."
    Wallace Stegner

With IPhone, Facebook, and the NSA (the recent phone record scandal) stuff flying around, as well as google collecting wireless information with their mapping cars, you'd have to be pretty naive to take a statement like that straight up and think there won't be an "accidental" collection of data.

It seems like there's never any punishment for violations, or "accidents" that always have phones, pages, systems sending saleable data back to the source.

It's not like there's never been an instance of it before, and it's funny how the "accidents" always favor collecting data someone shouldn't have collected, and never that someone wants to collect data and accidentally doesn't.