Thread: Nick Offerman on Letterman show last night

Nick Offerman on Letterman show last night

Hey, you guys see Nick Offerman on the Late Show with David Letterman last night. They actually spent most of the time talking about woodworking -- pretty cool!

-- Jason

I could put one in your pond for 18 five
    of course Dave is now going to shop around for a hand made canoe...
    Carpe Lignum

Gettin' old, I guess. I don't have a clue who Nick Offerman is......

AKA Ron Swanson, star of NBC's Parks & Recreation

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Will Rowland; 09-29-2011 at 1:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    of course Dave is now going to shop around for a hand made canoe...
    So this guy makes canoes and stars in a TV show? Is he a member here at SMC? No.... he outha be!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    Gettin' old, I guess. I don't have a clue who Nick Offerman is......
    You don't have to be young. Even I, genuine codger, recognized him on Letterman last night. Just didn't know the name. Offerman is not a star of "Parks and Recreation" but one of the excellent comedy cast. I was struck in his interview with Letterman that he seemed to have a similar personality to that of his role. One of the topics of discussion was flattening a large table top via his version of a router jig. I could use one of those!

He's also on the cover of and has an article in the new issue (Dec 2011) of FWW!

Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 09-29-2011 at 9:20 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Full video here, Jump to the 32:00mark.

http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_s...ault&play=true
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Ha!

"You know what, I think I'm gonna shop around"

In all seriousness though, that's really awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by David Winer View Post
    You don't have to be young. Even I, genuine codger, recognized him on Letterman last night. Just didn't know the name. Offerman is not a star of "Parks and Recreation" but one of the excellent comedy cast. I was struck in his interview with Letterman that he seemed to have a similar personality to that of his role. One of the topics of discussion was flattening a large table top via his version of a router jig. I could use one of those!
    The latest issue of Fine Woodworking has plans to build his router jig.

I checked out a little bit of the video tour of his shop on FWW and it reminded me of an episode from one of the first two seasons of the show. Ron (Nick's character) is working in his shop when one of his friends comes over to help him out. The setup is that his friend is coming to help him but he's also the planning/building department head. When he comes in Ron's got every safety rule broken - he keeps his oily rag pile by a wood burning stove, overloaded electric panel, etc. A little digging around the internet and I found it really is Nick's shop.

Great show. Great character. Great guy.

There is an episode of Parks and Recreation where they visit his character's workshop. At the time, I thought whoever designed the set must be a woodworker, because they got all the details right (including the massive number of clamps hanging on the walls). Turns out it was his actual workshop. He has a website somewhere with some of his projects on it.

Richard

I walked in on my wife earlier this yearr when she was watching Martha Stewart, and she was having a woodworking special. Nick was on showing some of his strip canoes and canoe paddles. She also had her brother on who, I believe, had done some turnings, carvings and a Maloof-stype rocker.