Thread: Hot Dawg

Hot Dawg

May be going to look at a used hot dawg heater this weekend. From what I understand it is not the external combustion model, but the one that draws air from inside the shop. Obviously, this is not the ideal setup, but I was wondering if anyone else had one of these and their experiences with them. Anything I should be on the lookout for? I think its a 60k btu model.

Thanks,

Nick

Nick,
    Propane is loaded with moisture and all of it ends up in the shop. Some of that moisture is good for the shop but the one I tried left a film of water on my machines. I'm in eastern PA so we have fairly cold winters. I keep my shop at 60 degrees all the time and kick it up when I am in it. I ended up taking the heater out and buying one with a heat exchanger.
    faust

I have a similar Sterling 40k that has a power vent. It heats the shop air wonderfully.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The problem isn't water in the propane.

The problem is that a propane molecule (C3H8) is made up of three Carbon (C) atoms and eight Hydrogen (H) atoms which when cleanly burned, the Carbon and hydrogen bond with Oxygen (O) molecules and form Carbon Dioxide (CO2) and water vapor (H2O) which then condenses on cool things, like your metal tools. Along the way it removes the breathable oxygen from the room.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I put mine in almost 8 years ago and it ran on propane up to last fall. No moisture problems and I don't see why you'd get them because it still exhausts outside even if it draws it's combustion air from inside.

I put a Hot Dawg in about 6 years ago and it works just fine. I keep the shop at 55 all the time and increase it when I am working there. Uses natural gas, combustion is from the internal air and exhaust is forced to the outside. I also have vent-less heater in another part of the shop and it does create moisture but not so much to cause a rusting problem.

About 10 years ago, I had the then largest Hot Dawg installed in my detached shop. A a bigger unit than I need, but I purchased at a very reduced price on a close out/going out of business sale. So far it has been trouble free.

Now as for the unit that you will look at, does it work? Unless hooked up and have the opportunity to fire it up, I would be leery....