Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Need guidance on new shop

The point (and you can feel free to tell the "boss" this) is to find equipment at a great price and sell your present equipment for fair market value. You may need to do this a couple of times with each piece, but I went from a HF 7' jointer (not much to write home about) to a Delta 6" jointer (good solid machine, but still fairly limited) to a Delta DJ20 (8" jointer). Almost no money (maybe $50-100) out of pocket for the total upgrade. Worth every penny and then some. I went from a Ridgid contractor's TS to a Delta Unisaw (no money out of pocket). I went from a 15" Woodtek planer to a 20" Grizzly (came out ahead, actually). Went from, well, the list goes on and on. The point, is find the deals, and sell for fair market value (not gouging anyone!). When you do this, you'll end up with much heavier duty machines that need 220. That's all...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    The point (and you can feel free to tell the "boss" this) is to find equipment at a great price and sell your present equipment for fair market value. You may need to do this a couple of times with each piece, but I went from a HF 7' jointer (not much to write home about) to a Delta 6" jointer (good solid machine, but still fairly limited) to a Delta DJ20 (8" jointer). Almost no money (maybe $50-100) out of pocket for the total upgrade. Worth every penny and then some. I went from a Ridgid contractor's TS to a Delta Unisaw (no money out of pocket). I went from a 15" Woodtek planer to a 20" Grizzly (came out ahead, actually). Went from, well, the list goes on and on. The point, is find the deals, and sell for fair market value (not gouging anyone!). When you do this, you'll end up with much heavier duty machines that need 220. That's all...
    Mike,

I agree completely. The nice part is that I am having a 100 amp sub panel installed in the shop. When push comes to shove, it will be easier to add more 220's.
    - Lou

Moving along! The framing is done as well as most of the electric rough-in. Electric should be buttoned up on Monday, inspections on Tuesday, drywall starts on Wednesday!

My wife said she hopes we stay in this house long enough so I can use the shop at least twice. Right now, I'd say it's 50/50 we are here at this time next year!

Progress Pics:
    IMG_1938.jpgIMG_1940.jpgIMG_1941.jpgIMG_1942.jpgIMG_1944.jpgIMG_1945.jpgIMG_1946.jpgIMG_1947.jpg
    - Lou

Well, SOMEONE'S going to end up with a nice shop...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Drywall is up! They will start taping/mudding tomorrow. Shouldn't be long now! Still trying to figure out what I want to put on the floor (if anything).

I like the way the insulation turned out (I insulated all the walls and the ceiling). I did some testing in there with the door closed and it has made a HUGE difference with muffling the sound.

IMG_5976.jpgIMG_5977.jpgIMG_5978.jpgIMG_5979.jpgIMG_5980.jpgIMG_5981.jpg
    - Lou

Well...

This shop was finished just in time for us to move from Virginia to New Jersey! We moved in April of this year away from VA. Crazy!

We just moved into our new house last week (another new build!!!). Yes - we have closed on 3 new builds in 3 different states in less than 4 years.

New shop will be taking shape over the coming weeks. Pics to follow!
    - Lou

I don't know what you do for a living, but your hobby as a woodworker is suffering greatly.

Good luck in NJ.
    -Lud

So........should we expect a book on building shops?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.