Thread: Overarm Blade Gaurd Shelf

Overarm Blade Gaurd Shelf

I got tired of always having to move stuff off of my table saw top (lots of stuff tends to wind up there) so I made a little shelf that attaches to my overarm blade guard. It works great and helps keep the table saw surfaces free of clutter (most of the time).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seems like that area is wasted space and the only wood to pass under would be sheet goods so I like the idea. Gives me some ideas though I know I wouldn't want any shelf to store items above the saw blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsutsui View Post
    Seems like that area is wasted space and the only wood to pass under would be sheet goods so I like the idea. Gives me some ideas though I know I wouldn't want any shelf to store items above the saw blade.
    You could store emergency first aid stuff there

Darrell,

That is a great idea. I have been thinking of some kind of shelf on the overarm guard. I like your design. It offers a lot more storage than what I was thinking of. I may use your design if you don't mind. Chris, and Jerome, If Darrell's overarm guard is like mine, the shelf is not over the blade. In fact, it is way to the right of the blade. It is in no way a safety issue.

Good job Darrell, Sam

Notice that he has all the important stuff right to hand - like that deck of cards!
    Jim

Hey those cards are a very essential part of the shop. They're what I use for shims since they have a very uniform thickness - excellent for sneaking up on just the right cut.

Sam is right about the position of the shelves relative to the saw blade. The shelves are probably two feet or so away from the blade so no safety issues there. So far I haven't found any down side to having them where they are. Now I need to make some better cubby-holes to maximize the storage are and organization.

I'm sure this isn't an original idea but it is one that I have found very helpful that I thought I'd share since I have gotten so much help/advice/ideas from other folks here.

Blog Entries
    When I first read this I was concerned about the stuff being over the blade but I couldn't tell from the picture just where it was. Even two feet away, I would probably put some raised edges around the shelf just to keep stuff from falling off and rolling or bouncing into the blade (or making be jump and reach for it )

The only word I can think of is...amazing!

Here is another pic so folks can see where it is relative to the blade. You probably can't tell from the pics but each shelf has about 1/4'' lip around it to keep stuff from rolling off.

shelf.jpg

Derrell,

I think you have come up with a great idea, and a great design. In addition, I see no safety issues. It is on my list of shop items to build. How do you like your fence system?

Sam

Hi Sam,

I have an Incra LS fence on my table saw and the older style Incra fence on my router table. They are both super fantastic systems and I love both of them. Being able to move back to an absolute position any time you want to is a real pleasure. And being able to do the fine adjustments in .001 inch increments, repeatably, consistently, and easily is frosting on the cake. They do require more room than other fence systems but for me that was a small price to pay for all the accuracy you get.

I like it too. I have often thought about putting my benchtop planer in that location. Never got around to trying it.

Rick Potter