Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Point arrow towards red mark on can...

Point arrow towards red mark on can...

Why??? What possible difference could it make witch way the nozzle on the spray can is pointing? This simple question has failed to succumb to my google prowess.

That's where the end of the tube is so you will get more liquid out of the can unless you are spraying up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Damm View Post
    That's where the end of the tube is so you will get more liquid out of the can unless you are spraying up.
    That's what I always assumed.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Damm View Post
    I had always wondered too. So, if I get what you are saying, the pickup tube is sort of J shaped, and the mark is in the direction that the bottom of the J curves?

I think that you are mistaken, the nozzle are suppose to point toward the red line so that you can see the spray direction are away from your face, some nozzle are not user friendly

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    I think that you are mistaken, the nozzle are suppose to point toward the red line so that you can see the spray direction are away from your face, some nozzle are not user friendly
    Sorry Ray but they are correct. I previously worked for a company that filled aerosol cans. The tube inside is slightly longer than the can height and curved at the bottom. The red dot indicated the side of the can that the tube "bottoms" out on.

It's my understanding the tube is slightly longer than the depth of the can. It's installed so the end is in the edge of the can touching on side at the bottom where the red dot is located. Thus when installed there is a slight bend in the tube. By pointing the nozzle at the red dot, as suggested earlier, you should be able to spray nearly all the liquid from the can.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

So if I'm spraying up, the arrow should be aligned opposite the dot. Interesting. It would be so much easier if they said "pickup tube on the red dot side" instead of giving vague instruction that are actually wrong depending where you're spraying. LOL.

Well, thanks. You learn something new every day

What if the dot was black?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Different color paint.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    It means your paint is old and you need to buy a new can.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    So if I'm spraying up, the arrow should be aligned opposite the dot. Interesting. It would be so much easier if they said "pickup tube on the red dot side" instead of giving vague instruction that are actually wrong depending where you're spraying. LOL.

Well, thanks. You learn something new every day
    ONLY for those smarter than a boulder, thus the "point at red arrow" instructions! They're lucky most even read THAT part!

Blog Entries
    They probably need to add a line to that instruction; "Point nozzle at red dot and make sure the red dot is on the side away from your face."

the red dot is not on all cans, I only recall seeing the dot on maybe 2 cans, like I said in a earlier post , pointing the spray nozzle away from your face is the important point, NOT ALL NOZZLE ARE THE SAME,and none of them are make for big fingers ,the nozzle can rotate under your finger without you noticed it

Ray,

Check out this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosol_paint

Look at the drawing on the right side.

I would suggest the dot is to show you where the tube is so you can get your money's worth and empty the can.

If you wanted to make sure the nozzle was pointed away from the user, you'd put the red dot on the nozzle not the can. Typically there is already an arrow on the nozzle.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-05-2011 at 2:14 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....