Thread: Plumbing question

Plumbing question

I'm looking at replacing our sewer basin at our lake cabin, I found a product made by Liberty pumps,

http://www.pexuniverse.com/liberty-p...e-pump-systems

I need a basin that is not very tall, a 24" model like the pro380 model. I'm having a problem calculating
    which model I need. They refer to "shut off head" term on the specs. I'm not familiar on how to calculate this. My drain field is 25' away from the pump with a 6' uphill grade. The discharge pipe is 2". My current pump is a 1/2HP and does fine, I'd like to order this basin in a 1/2HP but I dont want the wrong one.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Blog Entries
    Shut off head is the maximum lift capability of the pump. You will get zero flow if that pump has to lift 25 feet or more. Flow will increase as the height of the discharge is lowered. Manufacturers usually provide a pump curve that shows flow for any given lift height. This flow will also be reduced according to pipe losses for the system it is pumping through. There are ways to calculate pipe head loss as well.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee, so are you saying this pump can pump liquids up to 25' vertically, with flow decreasing as the height increases? I'm assuming then that horizontal measurement does not matter much then?
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Blog Entries
    The horizontal measurement (and pipe diameter) is going to account for the majority of your pipe loss... compared to the vertical component, the horizontal run will have minimal impact unless it's a very small diameter...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Lee, so are you saying this pump can pump liquids up to 25' vertically, with flow decreasing as the height increases? I'm assuming then that horizontal measurement does not matter much then?
    At 25' you'll get no flow at all. At 24' you'll get some flow and you'll get more flow at 10' than at 20'.

Horizontal pipe losses add up and will reduce flow. For example each 90 degree elbow is equivalent to about 10 feet of pipe. Here's a link for figuring flow loss due to pipe length.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute