Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traditional Rasps vs Dragon Rasps vs Iwasaki carving files

1. John,
    It says the videos are private. Would you please make them work for us.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail Lermontov View Post
    John,
    It says the videos are private. Would you please make them work for us.

Thanks a lot in advance.
    You should be good to go. I did a bit of cleanup a while ago to get a little privacy back. I decided to switch these to "unlisted", so you'll be able to view them and share them now.

The bottom line is I really like a regular rasp for roughing work, but I find myself grabbing for the Iwasakis for final shaping and things like that. The finish they leave, IF you use the right technique, is fantastic. They can be quite grabby until you figure them out, but don't give up on them. There's a reward at the end of the learning curve.

3. Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    You should be good to go. I did a bit of cleanup a while ago to get a little privacy back. I decided to switch these to "unlisted", so you'll be able to view them and share them now.

The bottom line is I really like a regular rasp for roughing work, but I find myself grabbing for the Iwasakis for final shaping and things like that. The finish they leave, IF you use the right technique, is fantastic. They can be quite grabby until you figure them out, but don't give up on them. There's a reward at the end of the learning curve.
    Working now thanks again John.

After some research I came to the same conclusion, to buy Iwasaki fine and extra fine ones then add a pair of 10' Stewmac dragons.

John, thanks for [re]posting these!

I really appreciate the thread getting revived. I've been trying to learn more choosing and using rasps. It really helps to see you use them as you explain the differences. I have a Nicholson milled file that's a little bit like the Iwasakis. I'm going to adjust my technique and bit and see if I get better results. Regardless, the Iwasakis are now on my wish list.

Thanks again, I learned a lot.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

5. For experienced and newbies below is great article about the most common rasps machined and hand stitched. It might been posted already but still could be useful to read it again.

https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/...-cabinet-rasps
    Last edited by Mikhail Lermontov; 09-03-2014 at 5:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have the small red rubber handled one in my arsenal. It is a great little tool that gets a lot of use.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post

You ain't helping me any when you keep bringing up the Auriou rasps..........Highland has a full-line display of them that I circle around each trip to the store........... And - NO - If I ever get any, I'm not sending them to you as you requested in the video clips. Your a decent sort of fellow and all that, but there is a limit .
    Sorry to quote myself, but............5 years ago. Forgot this thread entirely. I reversed direction.

4 different Auriou in hand. Nuttin' like 'em in my experience.

Greetings from the Borg. Buy just one. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

And - John C - nope. you ain't getting them.

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I keep meaning to pick up some Aurious or Logiers. I never got around to it. When I set up the new shop and unload some unused equipment, I probably will.