Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EZ Smart Router Guide Set-up (PICS)

EZ Smart Router Guide Set-up (PICS)

Can the Pic Police get you for too many pictures?

I took some time yesterday afternoon to set up my new EZ Smart Router Guide. I've set it up with my PC 690 router, however I'm considering checking it out on my DW 621 as well.
    The set up was very easy. The router base plate is just aligned between the stock base plate and the bottom of the casing. On the PC 690, the original mounting screws fit just fine with the EZ base plate in place.
    The base is then attached to the guide sled with two knobs, which also control the height setting.
    While the Smart Base for the CS rides on top of the guide rails, the guide sled for the router kit rides on a dovetailed slot (since the router rides along side of the rail as opposed to on top of the rail like the CS.)
    Distance from the guide rail is controlled by the large knob and slotted guide connected to the sled. The sled can also be locked into position on the rail using the smaller, lower knob on the sled, allowing cuts to be made perpedicular to the guide rail.

Should you ever find need to hop off the rail, the kit does include an edge guide as well.

Now I just need to finish tiling the front room, so that I can get the window seat cabinet off the work table and installed and really start putting this system to work.

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pete Harbin; 02-27-2005 at 1:49 PM.
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

The rest of the pics.

The rest of the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your pictures show the set-up very well. Thanks Pete.

Pete, So how do you like it? I think that I like the EZ guide better as a router guide then as a Circ saw guide! Although I don't use many sheet goods

Thanks Frank.

Jeff, I've yet to make a cut! I was down in Las Cruces on a project for work, so I haven't had time to play with it, aside from setting it up (or to post here...hope you guys didn't think I was ignoring you )
    I'll be firing up the CS and Router this weekend though, so I'm looking forward to making some practice dust...which, unfortunately is just as messy as regular dust.

Pete

Pete,

That is for sure! I have been sick as of late, but I had to get some stock made up for my dad. I had a couple of peices that were too long for my jointer, so I used the guide. It worked great with my circular saw!! You will love it when you make your first few cuts

One word of advice, when you make the first cut with your circular saw, make sure that the zero clearance peice on the guide is supported. I didn't support mine under it (with wood scraps) and it chipped out. No big deal, it just doesn't look as clean as it could
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Blog Entries
    Hmmm I have not made my first cut yet either. I was planning on using a foam or soft particle sheathing sheet between whatever I am cutting and my cutting tablet. I assume that would give it some support?

It's best to use a scrap wood or plywood piece under the saw base to make your first circular saw cut into the zero insert plate. Plunge the saw into it.

What I mean by the first cut, is the first cut using the guide, where you trim the little white plastic, zero clearance guides, on the guide itself. I just trimmed mine with it floating in the air. There was some chipout of the zero clearance guides. If I would have put scrap wood, under the plastic, I am sure it would not have chipped out. The cuts I have made with the guide, in plywood, have had zero chip out
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Blog Entries
    Ahhh, so you are referring to the actual material being cut, which in Jeff's case apparently was air

I was referring to some information on an Old Frank Pellow post (thats old post not old Frank, I'm sure Frank is a young spry fellow like me). As I recall it was a Festol & Ez Smart vs panel saw "discussion". Someone mentioned using a sheet of soft particle sheathing on top of their sawing table. The idea was the sheathing gave the sheet being cut total support. I think the idea was to set the blade just a fraction deeper than the material being cut so that the sheathing could be used repeatedly.

I imagine that this method would help with the initial trim of the Ez Smart edge guide. I guess what I am being told though is making a full cut on a firmer scrap would be a better surer way to properly trim the Ez guide. Since in my case we are talking over 8 feet, my dilemma is coming up with a long enough scrap. I guess I could make a separate cut with each half but I guess it would be preferable to do both together so that the two halves match perfectly.

Yep Like I said, it really makes no difference, it just doesn't look perfect. As far as the quality of the cuts I get, they are still pristeen.

Also, if you want to take the time, just take a 2 foot peice of scrap out of your scrap bin. You can keep moving it, the 4 times needed, to cut all eight feet of the guide No need to find an 8 foot peice of scrap
    Jeff Sudmeier

Good tips guys! I'll make sure I use some scrap for the first cuts on both the inserts and the guides.

Much to my chagrin, LOML has graciously offered our assitance in helping someone move tomorrow. Shop time has just been reduced Doesn't she realize that there's a new tool on the shop just begging for some extra attention?

Pete

NM Scoprions 3
    Colorado Eagles 1
    BIG win for the good guys tonight! Go Scorps!

Pete - great pics! You WILL enjoy your guide!

Well, my experience is with the circular saw side - not the router side.

Question for the masses (EZ Owners)...

As I've not yet setup my router guide, I've been pondering what the sequence for routing, for example, shelving dadoes. Is the guide similar to the saw guide where you just line it up with the layout line? I've not seen any documentation on this.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
    -joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Unni
    Pete - great pics! You WILL enjoy your guide!

Well, my experience is with the circular saw side - not the router side.

Question for the masses (EZ Owners)...

As I've not yet setup my router guide, I've been pondering what the sequence for routing, for example, shelving dadoes. Is the guide similar to the saw guide where you just line it up with the layout line? I've not seen any documentation on this.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
    -joe
    Hi Joe.
    Long time no see.
    The SRK needs to be lined up paraled to your routing line.
    Any where from 5-1/2 to 11". After you line-up your guide 5-1/2" (min) you can rout up to 11" without repositioning the guide rail.
    Your routing length is the length of the guide rail and your routing width is from 5-1/2" to 11'. (withour the need to reset the guide rail.)
    now, Inside this area you can rout X-Y-Z.
    I hope that helps.

Dino,

As it seems that you and EZ Smart are getting busier and busier I didn't want to bother you with such a simple question. However, thank you very much for the response. The information is helpful. I'll just have to try it out.

FYI - I've moved my basement shop to 2600 sq ft of old mill space and I'm incorporating a dedicated EZ Smart area. When I get things all set up and settled - I'll forward some pictures.

Thanks for all of your support thus far and for your fine products.

Sincerely,
    -joe