Thread: Introduction and Question

Question Introduction and Question

Hello All,

I am a novice woodworker with more questions than skills. I have only been at it for a couple of years. I have enjoyed lurking around woodworking forums for a couple of years. I stumbled across Badger Pond one day when I should have been working on my thesis for my masters degree. I have been hooked ever since. However, I have never joined in any of the discussions. I came across this site the other day in search of a replacement to badger pond. I noticed that this was a fairly new forum and wanted to get in at the early stages.

I do have one question that I could use some help with. My shop is also my unheated garage. I am having a problem with surface rust on the top of my table saw. I have been searching for something that I can use to remove the rust and some sort of "table dressing" that will stop the rust from forming in the future. I thought I read about a product awhile back that was maybe silicone based?? that can be used as to not harm the wood being cut after it is applied.

Any help would be great and I look forward to talking and learning about woodworking.

Dan

Welcome to the creek Dan!

I think you'll like it here just fine - lots of friendly & knowledgeable folks hang out here - so pull up a log get comfortable.

I posted a similar question on rust a little bit ago - here is the thread with some good tips:
    <a href="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1553">http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...&threadid=1553</a>

Welcome & have fun making sawdust.
    Last edited by Tom Sweeney; 04-21-2003 at 11:39 AM.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Blog Entries

Smile Welcome

Dan,

Glad to see you hanging out at the Creek. There's a lot of good people here that really enjoy woodworking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Silicone Products

Dan,

Try and stay away from silicone products on your table saw, silicone will cause fish eye defects if you ever use laquer as a finish on any of your projects. Most people use Johnson's Paste Wax.

Rusting tools

Dan, Welcome to the Creek!

Besides not using ANY silicone wax or sprays in your shop, try to avoid storing any swimming pool products, such as, acid or chlorine. These will cause rust even in moderate humidity. DAMHIKT! Bob

Bob - You got that right!

Bob Says
    >>>>>try to avoid storing any swimming pool products, such as, acid or chlorine. These will cause rust even in moderate humidity. DAMHIKT! Bob<<<<<<

Back in another lifetime when I was young & still lived with my mom we had a pool. We stored large drums of chlorine in the garage - nasty stuff, when I opened the lid it would suck the breath out of you.

I had thousands of dollars worth of tools (I was a mechanic) & a 66 Mustang GT (that I still have) stored in the same garage. They all formed the strangest coating of rust you ever seen. Unfortunately it took me a while to put 2 & 2 together & realize that the chlorine was the culprit.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP