Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New box joint jig.

New box joint jig.

Awhile back there was a thread about a new box jig on the horizon (I can't find it while searching). Is this jig, the Incra being sold at Woodcraft the one that was being talked about? Thanks, David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Isn't that Alan Schaffter's design. Dave

Lee Valley has a better price than Woodcraft.
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...14&cat=1,43000

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by David Cramer View Post
    Awhile back there was a thread about a new box jig on the horizon (I can't find it while searching). Is this jig, the Incra being sold at Woodcraft the one that was being talked about? Thanks, David
    David, yes the I-box is the one that every one is talking about. I have one and its a great jig.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Very interesting video!

Thanks for the info everyone and thanks for confirming that it is the jig I remember many touting on here awhile back. I had forgotten about it until I was on the Woodcraft website a couple days ago. Woodcraft has a 15% off sale this weekend so with the discount and tax it will be about $153.16, if my math is correct (but thanks for the Lee Valley link/price). I have no clue who Alan Schaffter is, but this jig is an Incra jig and apparently an improvement on their previous one. Thanks again

David

Here are some threads on the Ibox, it is a great jig and does an outstanding job.
    Yes it is Alan's jig, he came up with the idea and worked with Incra to bring it to market is my understanding.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...e-router-table

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...some-questions

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...e-today!/page2

alan is a gifted fellow creeker who i believe originated the Ibox jig for box joints. this is his video on dust collection:

http://videos.americanwoodworker.com...ust-Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Yes it is Alan's jig...
    If I get one, do you think Alan would autograph it for me???

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Isn't that Alan Schaffter's design. Dave
    Sorry, I didn't mean to slight Alan in the least but I simply had no idea that it was his design and that incra used it or bought it from him. Nice job Alan and yes I am buying one this weekend.

I just stumbled on this thread. Without breaking my arm patting myself on the back, as others have said the INCRA I-BOX is my baby. I came up with the original mechanism concept and after licensing it to INCRA I worked with them to develop the retail version. INCRA made no small contribution either. Great design work and US manufacturing resulted in one fantastic jig.

I think Hartville Tools currently has the best price- $154.95 list - WoodNet discount (15%) = $131.71. One place on their website says "out of stock", but I'd give them a call. (Correction)

I hadn't used it in a long while until this week when I had to make some samples for a show- I truly forgot how great the I-BOX really is, and I'm not just blowing smoke for my small royalty. Check out the great WW magazine and Amazon reviews!

If any of you are in the VA, NC, SC, GA, TN KY area this Friday or Saturday, come to the Klingspore Woodworking Extravagaza in Hickory, NC. I will be demonstrating the I-BOX. First, I'll be briefly discussing box joints in general- I made some eye-opening samples that show how just a few thousands of an inch can make a big difference in the fit of a box joint. During my demonstration I'll use the I-BOX to show how easy it is to make most of the joints pictured below including the decorative exotic ones that are I-BOX exclusives. I'll be making standard, center-keyed, splined, center-keyed splined, etc., box joints, as well as wooden hinges and dentil molding. If I get it done, I'll also have a dual-sided, hinged, inside-out-box.

Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 10-24-2012 at 9:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    If any of you are in the VA, NC, SC, GA, TN KY area this Friday or Saturday, come to the Klingspore Woodworking Extravagaza in Hickory, NC. I will be demonstrating the I-BOX. First, I'll be briefly discussing box joints in general- I made some eye-opening samples that show how just a few thousands of an inch can make a big difference in the fit of a box joint. During my demonstration I'll use the I-BOX to show how easy it is to make most of the joints pictured below including the decorative exotic ones that are I-BOX exclusives. I'll be making standard, center keyed, splined box, center-keyed splined, etc., box joints, as well as wooden hinges and dentil molding. If I get it done, I'll also have a dual-sided, hinged, inside out box.
    I am just to far away and can't make it but are you going to come back and show some pictures of that dual-sided, hinged, inside out box?

I still love the jig and it is still one of the best jigs that does what it states it will do and does it really easy.
    Did you see my post on the router table sub-base thing for the I-Box?
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...e-router-table

Bill, Thanks for the kind words! I saw your sled and think it is a nifty solution. There was a poster on an Australian website who had an issue with his miter slot being too far away from the blade for the early I-BOXes. INCRA has since lengthened the miter bar mounting slots to accommodate this odd saw (an old Jet). If that didn't solve his problem, I'll post a link to your thread.

If and when I get the hinged box done I will post photos. As much as I would like to claim credit, the box design is not mine- it is just easier to make with an I-BOX.

Thanks for posting now I don;t have to pay Woodcraft's excessive shipping & get a better price to boot !