Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Radial Arm/Miter Saw Dust Collector yet

Ben, it seems to work well and if you are happy with it then that is the important part. I have not got an RAS to build the same thing and a mitre saw works differently in that it has a high fence as part of its structure with the support for the saw head that deflects the dust and gets in the way generally. I guess a RAS is more controlled in its ejection of the chips and dust and easier to get a good collection. Thanks for posting the video.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

2. How does this work on angled cuts now that you have the hood on it?

I don't use this saw for angled cuts. I made the decision when I built it that this would be a dedicated cross cut saw. If I were to change my mind, I'd need to either make the top of the hood out of a thicker material that could stand up to several kerfs cut in it or make several of them to use with different angles.

The bigger issue is the fence. Right now, it is just screwed and taped in place. Allowing a variety of angles to be cut with this set up would require the fence to be glued in place. For whatever reason, I'm not ready to make that committment.

The only part that isn't compatable with angled cuts is the "through the top kerf" because miter cust pass over frame members in the saw base. I toyed with the idea of cutting common angles with a dado blade then laminating over them with some formica to make dust channels. I'm not entirely sure that those would be necessary. Because of the way a radial arm saw works, most of the chips seem to stay within the kerf so the rear collection point and slightly raised hood opening would probably be suffucient.