Thread: How to determin drawer bottom thickness?

Question How to determin drawer bottom thickness?

I am making several 16 x 22 inch (inside dimension) drawers 12" high to hold electrical and plumbing fittings. Most drawers have 1/4" bottoms but I am concerned about the weight.

How thick would you make the bottom? (I have 1/4" and 1/2" plywood in the shop)
    Is there a set of guidelines as to how to determine the thickness of a drawer bottom?

Thanks in Advance,

Jesse Tutterrow

for a drawer that size, I will recommended the 1/2 plywood

I have someone make my drawers. If they are large or might carry a lot of weight they put in 3/8 bottoms.....If your making your own you could use what you want. I use to make my own & I used 1/2" Baltic birch with 1/4" bottoms for regular size & 3/8" for over sized ones.

I would use 3/8 or rabbit the 1/2 to more like 3/8 or whatever fits inside the dovetails. Dave

That is not a particularly large drawer, though it is pretty deep so it could see a bit of weight. Bit the 16" span is not particularly large, so if it is 1/4" multi ply like BB, not much of a problem. If it is that three ply decorative stuff, not much strength there, might want to go 1/2" in that case. You could always tack on a stiffener from below made of solid stock, a bit of glue, a few pins or staples, if you found the drawer had too much spring in the bottom. For larger drawers I'll usually go for 3/8" or 1/2" bottoms, particularly if they are deeper, or meant for pans or dishes or some other known heavy objects. I don't have any clear rules, just go by intuition. Worst case if you do a dry fit with 1/4" and don't like the results you can rabbit the edges of a thicker piece to fit the 1/4" groove and still have fine results, which I do anyway for drawers with thicker bottoms.

I vote for 1/2" Baltic Birch.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    I vote for 1/2" Baltic Birch.....
    +1 I used 1/2" BB for drawer bottoms in my "side bench" in my shop I load my small power tools in there. I have 3 routers with accessories in one drawer (22" x 24"). I don't think anything less would hold up.

I'd go with 1/2" also, I have squeezed 1/2" baltic birch bottoms between 1/2 blind dovetails also.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Because I have to order my BB anyway I always get some 9mm. I find I use it more than 12. Great for backs and drawer bottoms. In a pinch I will double up underlayment plywood. Dave

I use 3/8" for my drawer bottoms. I think 1/4" is OK for fine furniture and the like, but for kitchens and entertainment centers where they're going to be used and abused I like something a bit more substantial. In your case since you already have the 1/2" that's what I'd use. If your doing dovetailed boxes then I would rabbet the ply for a 3/8" groove which will just barely squeeze between the normal 1/2 blind dovetails.

good luck,
    JeffD

I believe that the key is to use good plywood, BB will hold immense weight.
    I have never found the need to use 1/2 inch. Either 1/4 or 1/4 with a front to back stiffener, or 3/8
    have been very sufficient. I made several large, deep shop drawers, (28"W by 28"D by 12"H) that
    I store routers, and other fairly heavy tools in, with no issues.
    I have also made large pantry drawers to hold canned goods using 1/4" BB with 1/4" stiffener, that work great
    and carry a very high weight.

Depending upon what sort of plumbing or electrical fittings you're putting in that drawer, you could exceed 50Kg. Think of a drawer that large full of steel pipe nipples.

I would go with 12mm ply...............Rod.

By the time you need the full 12mm I would think the drawer sides under the groove might become the weak link. Dave