Thread: Table Saw Noise

Table Saw Noise

Delta Unisaw, 3 hp, 220V, 1993 not used hard but often. Replaced worn belts 5 months ago and now its making an intermittent sound like metal on metal, high pitched but not a shriek. Its not the arbor bearings for certain. Checked pulleys, those are tight. Using a screw driver through the throat, I can pry against the drive pulley and get some slack on the shaft transversely through the motor, maybe 1/16" Squirted some oil on shaft between pulley and motor and it quieted down.

I can get my hand on the lower pulley to lift and I do not detect any play in the shaft vertically, though granted that's hardly a good test.

Does this sound like a bearing going bad in the motor?

Are motor bearings (I assume the sleeve type) be replaced or am I looking at anew motor?

Take the belts and run the motor to see if it is coming from the motot. Motor bearings are relative easy to change. I haven't changed them on a Unisaw but I have on a 3hp Dust Collector and a couple of radial arm saws.

Without a side load on the bearings after removing the belts, you may not learn anything new.
    If it was used often for 18 years, I would replace the motor bearings. Get ready for a heavy load when you take it out of the saw.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night