Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decent forstner set without breaking the bank

Decent forstner set without breaking the bank

Thinking about a set of forstners. Was looking at the Porter cable 14pc set at lowes for 50 bucks. any other options for decent, mid-price bits?
    Whats the chances that the harbor freight 16 pc set is any good for 32 bucks after a 20 percent coupon?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/16-piec...set-39812.html

Depends on how much you're going to use them and what you're willing to put up with. I bought a set of China made Forstners from Lee Valley and they were a pain to deal with. They just did not cut well. And Lee Valley has a good reputation. I eventually replaced them with a set made by Famag and they've been wonderful. I also have a set of Freuds and they do very well. (the Freuds go up by 1/8" and the Famags fill in between the eights - so the Famags are in sixteenths)

If you go with an inexpensive set, I think you'll be unhappy and will eventually replace them later - assuming you use them a reasonable amount.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I just bought a Freud 3/4" for a whole bunch of mortises. I am completely satisfied. My set is from Rockler and is not at all satisfactory. Burns its way slowly into the wood.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I purchased the set from Grizzly which I believe is more or less the same run-of-the-mill chinese bits from everyone else. Although they work at cutting a hole, I had to file most of the ones I have used so far to cut cleanly. They look to be the same quality as the Porter Cable ones I saw.

Money was a consideration at the time. I get satisfactory results (the hole size measures correctly, no burns), but the more I use them, the more I realize I will be buying a better set. Although a more expensive route, I may buy the bits one at a time as I need them - similar to router bits. But the cheaper set got me started so not a total loss and I will still have them for "beater" work.

Famag. They are not cheap but are head and shoulders above any other Forstner bit I've used.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I've found that the Woodcraft (i.e. Woodriver) Forstner bits are actually not too bad. I have one of the larger sets and haven't had to replace any with better bits for any reason yet. Their pen bits are very nice as well. Their large sets of twist and bard point bits, on the other hand, are absolutely useless. I use them for beater work and usually toss them out after each use...sooner if it wobbles too badly to use.

You can buy them individually, and they're not too expensive, so go ahead and buy one to see if you like it. The sets go on sale all the time, so you can usually find a smoking deal on it if you're patient.

I have a small set from woodcraft that works reasonably well. I've used a cheap set at work from a vendor I'd rather not name, coated in some yellow psudo tIn coating, and they are junk that make everything you try to do with them harder than it ought to be or has to be. Junk. I've bought singles of the PC bits from lowes and they cut well both by hand and in a press. My favorite budget option presently are the Freuds from the HD. I'm having great results with those. I decided not to buy amwhole set but rather just buy them as I need them. Many of the sizes in the large kits I never use, and a few sizes I prefer to have doubles so I can leave one setup in the press and use another free hand.

I too have a cheap set. Since I use them for hobby work, they are fine for me. Just be sure to keep the teeth from getting too hot. That's easy to do, and will dull the bit.

John

I have the PC set you spoke of. They've served me well.
    They don't get a lot of use. I did use a couple quite a bit, to hog out for 16 router trays in oak. Those seem to still work well.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

I bought the 16 piece set from Woodcraft (Item #147067) when it was on sale for approx 1/2 price. I have been pleased with the performance of the set. They are not Famag's but you get 16 bits for the price of 1 of those.

I'm happy with MLCS bits. Good price and they cut good. Forstners are pretty easy to resharpen BTW, even I can do it. So I don't think it's really necessary to buy top of the line with these, unless you just like owning the best.

Blog Entries
    I have a Freud set up to 1 3/8" and a Porter Cable set up to 2" (probably similar to what you found at Lowes). The Freud bits are what I ususally use.

I've had really good luck with Freud products (Saw blades, Dado set, router bits, shaper cutters, forstner bits). They are one of my favorite manufacturers.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
    I have the PC set you spoke of. They've served me well.
    They don't get a lot of use. I did use a couple quite a bit, to hog out for 16 router trays in oak. Those seem to still work well.
    That's been my experience, as well.

I should mention that some applications (clock kits, euro hinges) have required weird sizes that aren't in the 12-piece sets.

Matt

I got the Woodriver set and spent about an hour with a small diamond stone cleaning up any burrs. They've been great since. There seemsto be three kinds-expensive and really good, cheap and good, and cheap and bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Richardson View Post
    I'm happy with MLCS bits. Good price and they cut good. Forstners are pretty easy to resharpen BTW, even I can do it. So I don't think it's really necessary to buy top of the line with these, unless you just like owning the best.
    Hey Barry,
    How you do dat? I've got some older, larger ones I'd like to sharpen. Some with teeth.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH