Thread: Need a 10" CMS

Need a 10" CMS

I need to trim a few rooms with 4" tall base and 3" casing. There is one small but tricky tray ceiling that I need to cut 2 3/4" tall crown for.

I have table saw sleds and a circular saw jig for most of my cross cutting so for now I'm ruling out a slider. Would rather put my money towards a sliding table for my TS.

I assume a 10" CMS will have less blade deflection than a 12" and technically I can use the 10" blades on my table saw.

So with all that said, I'm seeking recommendations for a 10" CMS, non-slider. My preferences, in no particular order:

1) Comes with the best blade possible.

2) Is easy to adjust and holds its setting. I've only had one CMS and was always fiddling with it. Ended up selling it to a friend and have never missed it.

3) Has an option for crown stops.

Cost is not a primary concern.

Thanks for any input.

I'm happy w/my DeWalt DW713.
    I do believe it's overpriced however.
    I bought mine when they were $179.00 about three years ago.

I do run a Freud 40T Diablo (~ $30.00@ HD) on it in place of the stock blade it came with.
    (I pulled the stock blade and use that on my 10" Ryobi as a "better" blade.)

You might search craigslist in your area (maybe search tempest or other search tool). A lot of these for sale there, from people wanting to upgrade to a sliding version.

But if cost is no object, Festool makes a nice one.

(I know, the opposite ends of the spectrum advice)

I wouldnt shop based on the stock blade - just plan on purchasing a dedicated blade (or borrowing a cross cut from your tablesaw collection).

Settings are critical and the best way is to go to a store (with a 90/45 square) and move and adjust to see if it suits your working style. Even better is taking test cuts but you cant always do that.

DeWalt. There is also a crown stop set that you can add. I put a Freud TK 80 tooth on mine. You can spend way more for a CMS, but I think about diminishing returns.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    My son gave me a Hitachi 10" CMS. I put a good blade on it. It does a good job. I think it cost under $200.

But then, I really like my 40 year old Rockwell Miter Saw.