Thread: Defoaming milk paint?

Defoaming milk paint?

I mixed a batch of milk paint and I'm going to need every drop of this batch. I'd like to reclaim the foam, if possible.

The Milk Paint outfits have a defoaming product that, when a few drops are added to paint, will "kill the foam."

The MSDS says this is just a polydimethylsiloxane (silicone) emulsion.

What can I find around the house, or the store, that is a silicone emulsion? I don't have time to order the product from company.

You could try infants gas drops from the pharmacy. The active ingredient (simethicone) is very good at breaking foams. The product will have a significant amount of excipients in it (flavors, emulsifiers, probably sugar), but at the volume you'll need (drops), I can't believe it will affect the final finish.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Smith View Post
    You could try infants gas drops from the pharmacy. The active ingredient (simethicone) is very good at breaking foams. The product will have a significant amount of excipients in it (flavors, emulsifiers, probably sugar), but at the volume you'll need (drops), I can't believe it will affect the final finish.
    Good idea.

I called the milk paint outfit and they suggested hand soap, which has a defoamer in the form of SLS.

I tried the handsoap. But then I realized I don't think it was really a problem with foam, as much as it was a problem with too much clay and the way I mixed the stuff. I think I just went overboard in making sure I got a 100% mix. And the stuff kinda turned into a sponge.

I don't know, I'm using it anyhow. It sort of sticks to the brush and is difficult to spread. I used an old credit card and spread it like plaster, and then followed-up with a foam brush to smooth it out.

It looks fine.

Had I not needed every single drop of paint (to prevent having to buy another bag), I don't think I'd be in this position.

Thanks for trying to help me, I'm afraid I was beyond help this time.