Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Well, another weekend has come and gone. Been raining here so everything that has been wet is now more wet than before. Hummmm, is that even possible?

Oh well, I did some flat work this weekend in converting a hutch to an entertainment center for my Newfie buddy at work, Glenn. Got the interior framework done and have made the drawer boxes.
    Besides all that, I did a good bit of round work this weekend roughing out a few bowls that were still green and I've also been teaching Mark Cothren how to turn wood. I'm really proud of him because he is trying his best and doing so well at woodturning. Great job Mark!!!!

Well, I'm OnCall at work this week so shoptime will be extremely limited.

So, what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all......
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I went to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan for my nieces baby shower. While I was there I also hung out with my friend who owns a logging business and a sawmill. Got to see where he hauls his pulp wood (Mead/Westvaco) in Escanaba. Spent one day looking at his equiptment and product at his sawmill.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Rough weekend

My weekend activities were relegated to a recliner and TV. I injured my back Friday moving some lumber in the garage and have been down in the back since.

Hopefully I can get back to normal soon.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

My wife is laid up with a very bad cold and we had two young grandchildren for an overnight visit, so I did not get in much time in the shop.

What time I did have was mostly spent sanding off the old finish from a set of old cabinets. I recently purchased a Festool Duplex linear sander (LS 130 EQ) and removing the old finish from the inside of the cabinets was its first big test. I am happy to report that it passed the test with flying colours. I was able to get right into the interior corners.

I also got one coat of stain on some of the cabinets and on portions of the Murphy bed that I am building. See the attached picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 02-28-2005 at 9:52 AM.

Saturday was spent at the Woodworking Show in MKE. It was a great time! Always fun to see all the new tools in action.

Yesterday I glued up more peices of the drawers for the dresser and picked up some more timber, as I estimated a little short

Hope everyone has a great week!

Jeff

Finished up the office closet. And had a visit with Tom Sontag, a member and local urban logger. He's a very nice fellow to meet and do business with. Forgot my camera but will post pics before the boards are planed, jointed and after. Bought enough lumber to keep me busy for a long while.

No woodworking yet. Man this weather sucks. And February has seemed to be the longest month of the year.

Went to Madtown Saturday and got my drivers license renewed. DMV was only a few doors from Woodcraft, but I managed to avert my eyes as the CC was still hot from the WW show Friday.

Had lunch, Chinese buffet, and then went to Sam's Club and tried to buy out the store. Fortunately we had the wife's PT Cruiser so only limited amounts of stuff could be purchased.

Also, had #2 son down from the Twin Cities for the weekend. He was getting a couple of days away from full time work and full time chef's school.

All in all, a good weekend, but still want to get to making some sawdust.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

First I found an insane deal on a Rockwell Unisaw and a couple of other tools....

http://thewoodworkers.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1671

Then I built this on Sunday....

The retaining wall has an inside wall and an outside wall. Both are anchored to the original concrete base wall for the blocks that sat on them by deadmen attached to the posts via lag bolts. Then a triangular brace going from the point of attachment to the concrete to 30" up the post. We used reclaimed redwood lumber off a deck we resurfaced for the back wall and treated pine off the old catwalk on the same deck for the 45* braces.

Then we took the old wall's blocks and broke them up behind the wall for drainage fill. The new 16x14 deck that's going in above the wall on the second level of the yard will anchor it further. I have two more of these to build, but the biggest one is done!!!

The posts were sunk the weekend before BTW. I am tired!!! I got no rest this weekend, but the fruits of the labor are very good!!!!

I was one busy sucker this weekend. I took Friday off, but was pretty slowed down with a nasty head cold. I did manage to get some prep work done. Then Niquil and 12 hours in bed Friday night.

I have a long list of items needed to be completed before I put the house up for sale. I repainted all the trim in our basement, finished installing doors on a built-in cabinet and painted, installed knobs, etc. I also redid the silicone around the tubs and showers.

Replaced the battery on my truck, just stopped working out of the blue with no warning.

Cleaned the house, my week to do the toilets, I've got to get that 5 year old to start hitting something besides the water in the bowl .

Fused 4 glass tiles, and I also found time to help the boy build a puzzle, play t-ball and watch NASCAR.

Time to get back to work....

Only 5 more days until the WW show in KC.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I spent toooooo much money at the Milwaukee Wood Show

I guess I can do without food for a week or 2

-jj

Finished installing the hardibacker for the shower tile and put the first coat of joint compound on the greenboard over the shower. I got one estimate for retiling the shower and verified that I'll be doing it myself (which I prefer).

My eldest had a friend visiting from Minnesota to attend MegaCon (comic book / anime type stuff).

Dennis, we had rain here, too, on Sat. Really bummed me out. Got a couple hours work on a 10 foot section of wall for the shop rehab. rebuilt the sill plate, and changed the studs from 24" OC to 16" OC, then had to stop for the day. Sunday was overcast most of the day, but not raining. Got the OSB up, Tyvek, and got all of the Hardi plank up. Still need to caulk and paint. Jim

Suburban Home Show on Saturday and then on to Ikea to check out some bed ideas for the future kids' room. Dr. SWMBO made an excellent rendition of Red Beans and Rice in her new rice cooker for the evening meal and it was great.

Sunday, after a late start, I spent a little time in the shop working on the box prototype for a friend since the hinges finally arrived. After drilling for them, I got the box and top beveled and the dye reapplied on the fresh surface. I will be able to get it finished, literally, next weekend I hope! Then I moved on to other "around the house" tasks including rearranging some storage in the pantry to better accommodate coats and some other things that pleased Dr. SWMBO. Also put time in working on a preliminary design for a future home addition. LOML also made an incredible roast chicken for din-din that topped off the day.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Spent some time fitting legs to a spindle that was turned for me by Jim Becker. He's not all talk; he can walk the walk! The spindles were just great. Also worked on the daughter's kitchen island. I'm sneaking up on the end.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

A delightful day at the Milwaukee WW show with Karl and Jerry O. for Friday. Sat, I finally got the support leg done and installed on LOML's sewing workstation and planed a bunch more Cherry for her bookcase. (THEN, she says she's not sure exactly what she wants in there! ) Installed the York pitch frog on my LN 4-1/2, tuned it up a bit and had a wonderful time smoothing BE & Curly Maple with NO tearout! Did some welding on a mount for the jointer power feeder. Sun, had visit from a local friend and his friend, who were trying to get ideas on building a WW shop. Installed the power feeder, tweaked and tested. A1!!! Spent the evening watching a movie with my daughter and LOML. Good weekend, although too short! You all have a great week!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!