Thread: M3 Metals

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

M3 Metals

Anybody played with any of this stuff !!! Apparently it's machinable with woodworking tools and it's cutable with a CO2 laser !

http://www.metalpenblanks.com/index.htm

I think I might try some out and see what can be done with it. But if somebody else has it might save me some time.

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

It's funny you should bring that up. I was going through some pen turning catalogs and was wondering the same thing.
    One problem....it is expensive maybe even more so than the Icon metal composite.

Do you know if they sell it in sheets? Maybe Rodne knows something on this as I believe it's made in china or Japan.

I have often wondered about the carbon fiber products also.

Haven't seen it in person but it looks nice in the catalogs.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Apparently it comes in flats http://www.metalpenblanks.com/order_flat_mokume.html

B
    ookmatched http://www.metalpenblanks.com/order_bookmatched.html

a
    nd an assorted bunch of other flat types.

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

6x6x1 .. $1100/bd. ft.

It turns nicely, carbide cutters work well. Polishes up well
    and engraves pretty much like other resins.

They have an interesting warrenty though I havn't seen this with many other products !

What happens if I break an M3 blank while I am working on it?

Oops Insurance (50% deductible): We recognize that M3 pen blanks cost more than other pen blanks on the market and they are worth every penny. What makes this material truly unique is the fact that it is unbelievably strong while at the same time easy to turn, carve and polish. That being said, mistakes do happen and when they happen with an expensive material it hurts. We want you to be successful. So if you break the pen blank, drill through, cut it wrong or destroy it in another fashion while working with it we will replace it for 50% of the current catalog price plus shipping. Simply send us the pieces with a brief explanation of what happened.

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You can make it yourself and cast it into whatever form you like, its merely metal powder in a casting resin , 50/50 mix works , you can tint the resin a similar colour to the metal powder you using and go 30/70 mix to save.
    You can polish , patina , mill etc , looks and feels like metal etc.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Thanx, Thats a good point Rodne. Now where to find metal powders off to see what google has to say.

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

got a phone message that Icon metal is no longer available
    Ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

it's a bit more complicated. The ingredients are right, but it isn't easy to find access
    to a resin that will accept a 50/50 mix. The powders settle to the bottom before
    the resin has a chance to set up. Most of the resins we have access to here will only
    take a 'load' of about 5-7%
    If you can make friends with someone who does synthetic marble or onyx and can get
    them to sell you a little, that should help. Those resins might take a 50% load or more.
    But trying to get a sales rep to contact you for anything less than several drums isn't
    easy. I've been trying for years.

I use a general casting resin I get from the fibreglass suppliers here. 50 50 mix with metals by weight. I dont have much issues with sedimentation of the metal powder tho we normally cast top surface down or actually paint it into the mould , the metal powders are very expensive , so large volume objects we fill with plaser of paris and lead shot for "authentic" weight.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

I do something similar with powdered copper and bronze, but only a surface
    treatment. The metals always sink. I suppose if you're doing something dark
    or black, general purpose (Bondo?) resin would be OK. But those resins often
    have a strong color cast.. I was referring to clear resins (sorry!) that will
    allow you control over the final color. Black would hide the amber color, so
    that's no problem.
    I'd love to do a bright red with copper lines.. white with gold veins etc.
    But can't get a hold of that resin!

And yes, they get a bloody fortune for powdered metals. Then again, they are
    deceptively heavy. Take a small jar that will hold 1 ounce of mica.. a similar
    volume of bronze will weigh a pound.