Thread: Wood Movement in T1-11 siding

Wood Movement in T1-11 siding

This is my first post in this forum..........have posted many times in the turners forum. I re-sided and re-roofed my shop building with T1-11 last week and primed it yesterday.........here are before and after pics..........

IMGP3040.jpgIMGP3047.jpg

Can anyone give me an "educated" estimate on how much wood movement there is in T1-11 siding? I ask this because last evening and all day today we have had heavy rain with this storm moving up the east coast. I went to go put a tool in my turning studio [a.k.a. shop], and the doors were so close together it was hard to open, and to shut it I had to use my foot to bang it closed a little.

There was plenty of gap between the doors when I installed them.....everything worked perfectly .........all lined up nicely with a strait gap from top to bottom.............

I figure it will open back up when the weather dries out..............I might have to plane away an eighth of an inch on one side or the other........
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Back many years ago I had a house in Oklahoma that was completely sided in T1-11. It was considerably longer expanses of continuous T1-11 than your shop and Oklahoma was colder in the winter and hotter in the summer than most any place else I lived (except Chicago in January and Phoenix in August). I repainted that house and as near as I remember, the wood movement was negligible for the siding. I don't think you have too much to worry about.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

Roger, are you sure that the problem is caused by the T1-11? When I read your post, my reaction was that the movement is in the door framing and not the T1-11. I had the same problem with a shed door that was framed with construction 2X and covered with OSB siding. The solution was to plane down the 2X door frame.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pippins View Post
    Roger, are you sure that the problem is caused by the T1-11? When I read your post, my reaction was that the movement is in the door framing and not the T1-11. I had the same problem with a shed door that was framed with construction 2X and covered with OSB siding. The solution was to plane down the 2X door frame.

Steve
    Thanks Steve...........I figure I will have to plane down the trim on the door, at least on one side. The humidity here lately has been akin to monsoon season..............I think about an eighth off one side and maybe 1/16th off the other will do the trick...........I was just wondering about movement in the siding.........it went from dry to very humid before I could get the primer on it..........I will let it dry and then take a look at what I need to do.....

Thanks everyone!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Dont sweat it too much there is minimal movement in T111 you will have more problems in framing and such. Just adjust as needed.