Thread: Dust Collector

Dust Collector

I'm looking for some advice on dust collection. I have a small 1 stall garage shop in my new house, that I'm just setting up. My large tools have been in storage for almost two years, so I'm excited. I have a 100 Amp subpanel, so power isn't an issue.

The shop is a 10.5' x 28' stall, the third in a 3 stall garage, so space is limited. I have the run of basic tools, all on wheels:

- Ridgid TS3650 table saw
    - Grizzly 8" spiral head jointer
    - Dewalt lunchbox planer, with a Byrd head
    - Router table
    - Miter saw
    - Ridgid drill press

The biggest tool as far as dust demand is my sander, an 18" grizzly belt sander I got for a song (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...er-Tool-Gloat&)

I was thinking of a Grizzly collector with canister (G0548Z) because it would be easy to roll around. I was also thinking of the G0440 cyclone, but it is so darn big. The grizzly portable collectors just dont look like the performance is very good. The oneidas are really pricy...

What do you think? I could possibly fit the canister collector in a closet adjacent to the shop / third stall. Can I get away with the canister for now?

Todd - almost any DC is better than none. Putting one in a closet it always a good sound-proofing strategy, but you need to make sure that sufficient makeup air can come out of the closet (back into the shop), otherwise any DC will be artificially choked.

That grizzly unit looks pretty good. I run a Delta 1.5HP unit (similar, but maybe a little smaller than that Grizz) and I think it works well. Where they are similar is that they are both good down to 1micron - this is very important. All the HP and CFM in the world do no good if all it does is spit the fines back into the air.

If you want a roll-around unit, then the cannister type is probably best. If you are willing to install one in just one location (e.g. in the closet) and run hoses from that, than either a cannister or cyclone could work.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

I am impressed with the Laguna DC unit. I did not know they made one until I saw one at the local Rockler's. Very impressive unit. The attention to detail on the unit was what really caught my eye. It is definitely not a 'Here's our copy cat DC unit'. And the design is a radical departure from the offerings of Jet, Delta, Grizzly, HF and so on.

My casual observations led to me to the conclusion that this unit may be more than adequate for the 'tweener sized shop. My shop is slightly smaller than yours and currently I use a HF unit with cartridge and Thein baffle. I roll it around for to TS, router table, sanding table and jointer. I am confident that the Laguna is vastly superior to my HF DC.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Thanks guys. Has anyone seen a review on the newest 2hp Laguna? It looks interesting, but pricey.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Todd Hoppe View Post
    I'm looking for some advice on dust collection.................................

Since your shop is kinda small, get a roll-around dust collector. Pick one based on price and CFM-performance. And be sure to investigate the particle-size of the final filter -- go for one micron or less, because those micro-fine wood particles are a health hazard.

And get at least twenty feet of flex hose. With that you can set up any tool wherever is best, and set up the dust collector where it makes sense, and have the dust collector hooked up to the tool.

I would go with a cyclone. The efficiency is so much better than any other design. With a bag type system, you will still have dust in the air, and a mess. A cyclone does not have to be that large, either. My system has a footprint of only 29" x 33". I built it based on the Bill Pentz design. Picture118.jpg

Thanks , Tom. Do you have more information on your build? Can you estimate the amount of time you have into the project?

Todd,
    Look on my posting about the 1.5HP Laguna, there's a link to a (3 part) 2HP Laguna video. Good info.
    I look at the Laguna Cyclones the other day and was disappointed with the welds. I think Oneida, Penn Industries, Grizzly & Laguna all make mobile Cyclones. Good luck.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Hoppe View Post
    Thanks guys. Has anyone seen a review on the newest 2hp Laguna? It looks interesting, but pricey.

IF your budget can take the impact, the JDS Dust Force 2100-CK cyclone is plenty compact, and seems to get really good reviews, but is fairly price at around $1,500.00. This is NOT the DC I own, but it is on my "If I won the lottery" wish list...

A MUCH more reasonable alternative would be the Delta 50-760 with a side inlet Thien Separator installed under the impeller. That is a bit more DIY approach, but ask anyone that's done a Thien separator (correctly) and they will tell you, it's well worth the effort... I do believe the 50-760 is being phased out in favor of the 50-786... A pity too... The new stand design of the 786 makes a separator on the stand design harder to pull off...

Trying to follow the example of the master...

Blog Entries
    The Laguna looks to me to be very similar to the JDS Dust Collector. I think its the same machine.

I suggest you get a cylone. Encourage you to look at the Oneida Air Site. They're made in Syracuse, New York, Always good to buy US made, especially these days.

Just my $.02.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    I am impressed with the Laguna DC unit. I did not know they made one until I saw one at the local Rockler's. Very impressive unit. The attention to detail on the unit was what really caught my eye. It is definitely not a 'Here's our copy cat DC unit'. And the design is a radical departure from the offerings of Jet, Delta, Grizzly, HF and so on.

My casual observations led to me to the conclusion that this unit may be more than adequate for the 'tweener sized shop. My shop is slightly smaller than yours and currently I use a HF unit with cartridge and Thein baffle. I roll it around for to TS, router table, sanding table and jointer. I am confident that the Laguna is vastly superior to my HF DC.
    Last edited by Paul McGaha; 10-14-2011 at 4:54 PM.

Here's a link to my posts on OWWM about building the cyclone. You have to be registered to view the forum it's on. It was a lot of work, but well worth it. The Pentz cyclone design is the best, in my opinion. I have used mine for a year, and virtually no sawdust has reached the cleanout under the filters. It is all separated by the cyclone before it gets to the filters.

http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=83551

Todd,

With the dust that is produced by your belt sander, I think that a Cyclone is your best bet. You also have a full complement of other dustmakers. Moving a "portable" and stepping over flex tubing will also quickly grow old. I run a Clearvue ($1400) and highly recommend it but for a small shop with limited runs a 2hp Grizzly G0440 would do well and it has excellent filtration and cyclonic separation ability at a much lower price. I started with a Delta 50-760 and a Wynn conversion cartridge (an excellent machine) but I needed to move up.

Paul

Thanks, guys