Thread: Flag display case plans

Talking Flag display case plans

Looking for flag display case plans,and is there more than one size. Thanks

I have a plan that I downloaded to build a couple of flag display cases. I can't get at it until tomorrow morning though. I can then tell you where I got mine as I don't remember right off the top of my head, although it was off the internet.

In the triangle version, like mine, I can't see as how it could be any other size. It has to fit a 9-1/2' x 5' flag. I have seen variations where the flag case like mine is then enclosed in a bigger display case that has room for medals etc.

I did four cases all together. Three were of Jatoba, as pictured, and one was of Butternut. I don't recommend the Butternut as it is too soft. I did however modify the plan on the Butternut version for the facia, which if I were to build any more, I would incorporate that change.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Karl Laustrup; 03-01-2005 at 4:26 PM. Reason: Changed flag size
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Please post that link Karl

I have one of these to build (promised to my Mother) and those dimensions will come in handy. She has the flag out of state, so I can't measure.

Thanks,
    Andy Haney

Jimmy, yes the size matters. I suggest you get the flag first then fold it properly before you start to cut the wood, if you are building it to fit a flag for someone in the military they could have one of 3 or more sizes depending on the original use of the flag. I do not have access to any pics or plans right now but if you PM me in about 2 weeks I will be back from deployment and will be happy to send you some pics of a few I have done. if you just want one to display a flag only the one Karl posted is the most popular just ensure you have the flag and measure it after its folded and remember do not make the fit too tight or there will be wrinkles in it. My favorite trick is to fold the flag around a cardboard triangle to ensure it does not wrinkle.
    BTW nice case Karl I like the figure and finish.
    Larry

Our woodworkers club makes them for military funerals following this plan: www.finewoodworkersofaustin.org/Plans/FlagCase.pdf
    I made one for a neighbor following that plan. The flag was folded so tightly by the honor guard at the funeral that it felt like a rock, and was too small for the case. When refolded by mortals, still following the proper procedures, it fit the case fine.

Needless to say, there are many size flags, but I believe that most casket flags are 5 by 9 feet.

Jimmy,
    Check out my post dated 02/23/2003. There is a picture of a display case I made in memory of my Dad.
    Try this link to a previous post on this forum.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=382
    Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry Todd; 02-28-2005 at 10:54 PM.
    Jerry in the Sunshine State
    Nam Vet, 67-68
    "If you're going to be stupid you got to be tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums
    Our woodworkers club makes them for military funerals following this plan: www.finewoodworkersofaustin.org/Plans/FlagCase.pdf
    I made one for a neighbor following that plan. The flag was folded so tightly by the honor guard at the funeral that it felt like a rock, and was too small for the case. When refolded by mortals, still following the proper procedures, it fit the case fine.

Needless to say, there are many size flags, but I believe that most casket flags are 5 by 9 feet.
    Charley, thanks for the plans! My grandma has a flag that does not have a case, it may be a mother's day present for her!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Here is the info for the plans on the flag case[s] I made:

http://woodstore.woodmall.com/flagcase.html . Anyone that read this before I changed the URL, this takes you directly to the flag case plans.
    There is a charge to download the plans, I think it was about $5-6.

One nice thing about this plan is it uses strictly 45* angles not 22-1/2. I mis-spoke on the size of these flags, they are 9-1/2' x 5' and that is what this flag case is designed for.

As I mentioned earlier, the front trim or facia as called for in the plan is 3/8" T x 3/4" W. On the last one I made I made the width 1" instead of 3/4" and then rounded over the inside edge. It really added quite a bit to the look of the case and I would recommend it. As I said in my previous post, any more that I happen to make will have the 1" facia.

Another change I made in the last one I made was the way the back is held on. The original plan calls for screws, which I used, albeit I used brass. In the last case, which was for my MIL, I had to have a back that would come off easily, as the flag is used in ceremonies honoring the veterans. My wife's family is Native American, Ho-Chunk to be exact. In this case I used plastic jobbies [I don't know what to call them] on the same order as what would be used to hold window screens on in the old days.

Andy, if you use these plans and the flag is standard casket size you don't need to measure the flag. I had the same problem. I didn't have a flag to measure before I found the above plan.

Larry, thanks for the kudos on the case. Each of the Jatoba ones were beautiful and I have received many complements on the wood I used. That was the first time using Jatoba BTW. The flag case plan also has a page that shows exactly how to fold the flag. It took me a couple of tries but I got it.

Jerry, your display case is exactly what I was trying to describe in my earlier post. Very nice BTW.

Jeff, I will loan you my plans seeing as how you are so close to me, but it might cost you.
    Last edited by Karl Laustrup; 03-01-2005 at 9:07 AM. Reason: added URL
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

9. Cool Free Flag case plan

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Tallent View Post
    Looking for flag display case plans,and is there more than one size. Thanks
    Here is a free flag case plan that I found online. The link is to a printer friendly page.
    http://eastmanpublishing.com/library/freeflagplanpf.htm
    Hope it helps someone.
    I'm going to build one and use my laser engraver to engrave the backside of the display glass with the information of the individual. I checked this link on 3/25/08 and it was still working.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums View Post

I tried to connect with the Austin link and got notice "The page you requested is not Afghanistan last Sep. 23
    Thank you in advance for your help.
    Semper Fi

Here is something I made for my father when he retired from Fish and Wildlife. I wanted something more than something to just hold a flag. It's pretty simple with mitered corners reinforced with biscuits on the bottom and dry biscuits and wood screws on the top to allow removal of the glass, etc. I can get you better photos later if you are interested.
    Dan

IMG_1009[1].jpg

12. Here is one of the best I've found....
    http://eaglelakewoodworking.com/post...play-Case.aspx

I've made a few using this as a baseline plan as well as a couple of my own design

Lawrence