I decided to update some laminate furniture after reading several websites describing the process. Unfortunately, I don't think that I was given all the information, so I am hoping someone here can help me out.

So far, I have cleaned the dressers but not sanded. I used a bonding primer that said it would stick to laminate. Then I painted two coats of Valspar Signature Color Interor Semi-Gloss Finish Paint and Primer in One , which is 100% acrylic latex. Originally, I had hoped this would be the end of the project but have discovered that drying time and curing time are entirely different. The dressers have been curing for 8 days and are much less tacky.

My question: Do I need to apply a protective top coat like a polyurethane or polycrylic? The dressers will be used for about 3-4 years and that is it. Should the valspar harden enough to provide decent protection from dings and scratches for the needed time? If I do need a protective coat, what should use? I read that polyurethane gives off gases, which would cause my clothes to smell. Is this a real concern? When reading the shellac can, it said that it finishes with a yellow/gold hue. How strong is the hue? The paint is black, so I don't want a weird hue on top of it.

Thanks for the time and advise.