Thread: Hurrican Irene and opening up a T-1-11 plywood walls

Hurrican Irene and opening up a T-1-11 plywood walls

Hurricane " Irene " flooded an English basement area. The walls were T-1-11 3/4 inch paneling. Fancy baseboards and trim. The baseboards and toe have been removed along with the white and brown mushrooms. What I want to do is open up the walls about 18 inches from the floor and remove the plywood . I have about 600 linear feet of walls to open up. Any suggestions on what tool to use? Have circular saws, gear drive circular saws, heavy duty Hilti reciprocating saw. Any thoughts on the mold?

Thanks,

Herb

Set the circular saw for just slightly over 3/4 depth and use a straight edge tacked to the wall to guide the saw, for the straightest possible cut. It will be easier to join the new T1-11
    later.

Charley

As above, a circular saw but I might snap a chalk line to follow instead.
    Otherwise, I'd think about removing all the panels and starting over fresh after it dries.
    The repair will look a lot nicer and might even be easier and faster.
    I'd wear some breathing protection whatever I did.

Than you so much---Does anyone know of chemical that can be sprayed between the studs to kill mold---or do I have to throw out all wood?

Thanks for your information.

Herb

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Mulqueen View Post
    Than you so much---Does anyone know of chemical that can be sprayed between the studs to kill mold---or do I have to throw out all wood?

Herb
    I'd find some Katrina info. I know some of the clean up crews there were spraying mold killer on studs in houses they'd stripped of drywall and insulation. But the mold code could vary from state to state. Have you talked to your insurance adjustor or local code enforcement to see what is recommended/required?
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

There's no way you're going to be able to cut off and patch the plywood paneling without leaving a noticible seam. 2 alternatives: 1) cut off more of the panel...say ~40" high....then install a chair rail to cover the seam, or 2) remove all of the paneling and use this as an opportunity to upgrade the wall covering.

Just out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of your basement? With 600 lineal feet of wall it must be huge!

Here's a link to a good article on mold clean up: http://www.healthyhouseinstitute.com..._Damaged_Homes
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Mulqueen View Post

Herb
    Check out http://www.concrobium.com/ and their fogger system.