Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Breaking Ground on new shop.

Cameron, it's looking very nice in there!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

We have made a little progress on the shop. We installed the garage door, it's not obvious in this picture but it's actually a giant pocket door. It's on barn door hardware and slides into a pocket between the exterior wall and a false wall on the interior. The General contractor was nervous about this project but we have "Alabama Engineered" our way through it and I'm happy w/ the results so far. Some different weather sealing and a latching system on the inside and we'll declare victory.

67.jpg

We also covered the pergola/connection area with corrugated polycarbonate and installed some exterior ceiling fans. We hope this becomes a usable area where we can sit and enjoy during the hot summer. But we've already discovered that the fans on low keep the birds from nesting in the pergola area.

68.jpg

Pocket Garage Door and laying the floating floor

Making a little progress on the shop. Here are a few shots of the pocket-garage door. I'm really happy with it so far. Still have to work on the guides and locking mechanism.

IMG_0319.jpgIMG_0320.jpgIMG_0321.jpg

Also laying pressure treated 2x4's for the floating floor. Actually hung the air filter yesterday; first tool in the shop!

IMG_0318.jpg

thanks for looking.

Great space and you're going to love that wood floor. I'm starting my second floor expansion this month and I'd be very interested in your layout since my floor plan is just a little bigger than yours.
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Handyside View Post
    Making a little progress on the shop. Here are a few shots of the pocket-garage door. I'm really happy with it so far. Still have to work on the guides and locking mechanism.
    Hey that's cool, I've never seen a pocket door that large on a garage before. I like it a lot better than the overhead.

I have sliding doors on my garage and I plan to put a regular locking mechanism on them. But for now I drilled two holes in the concrete and put those L-shaped pins that you see on some gates. they work great. I love the sliding doors since they do not take up ceiling space and you can open them any amount you want. Sometime I just crack them an inch or two and turn on my exhaust fan to bring cool air into the shop or clean out some fumes.

It's been a little while but we are making progress again on the shop. I managed to get the shop floor done and happy w/ the results.

I laid 2x4 PT on the flat, on16" centers. Then filled in the voids with rigid insulation. I then sealed it w/ 6 mil vapor barrier:

IMG_0328.jpg

Then started laying the 3/4" T&G ply. Everything went relatively smoothly but this is intended to be an underlayment and not a finished product. I might have reconsidered using the OSB since it would have been a more uniform product:
    IMG_0339.jpg

I topped it off w/ 2 coats of deck stain. Just about read to move in a tool or two!
    IMG_0342.jpg

Final picture of my wife's garden room on the back of the shop. We can see the light at the end of the tunnel on this project!
    IMG_0337.jpg

Thanks for looking

Only benefits to OSB are its cheap and has a rough surface so you have some grip under your feet. I've been doing a lot of hand planing laterly and I have no worries about my feet slipping as I push.

Looks great.
    Don

Cameron,
    First of all, congratulations on your new shop and it looks like it is going to be a great space. I'm definitely jealous.

Question,
    Can you provide a few details on how you did the floor? Are the 2x4s attached to the concrete or do the float? Is the T&G attached to the sleepers or does it float? Could you install a top floor layer over the T&G if you wanted to in the future?

(If this was already discussed previously in the thread, let me know, I haven't read the whole thread, just looked at pictures.)

Mike

After staining, the ply is "rough-ish" and I have good traction. I'm hoping it wears to a nice worn finish after some time. And I'm not scared to screw things right into the floor!

I laid the PT 2x4's on the flat side right on the concrete (on 16" centers); no fasteners or glue. But I did pocket hole (Kreg) all the ends to perimeter 2x4's which were pocketed to the sill plate. While not as "fastened" as if I had to the concrete, it seemes to be very flat with only 2 boards bowing up. I then filled the voids with 2 layers of 3/4" rigid foam insulation and on top of that, a layer of 6 mil vapor barrier. The ply is screwed directly into the 2x4's every 16".

I stained the ply w/ simple deck stain and if that doesn't turn out; I'll paint it with porch paint. If that doesn't go well, I could then cover it with the cheapest hardwood from LL :-) but I think it'll be fine.

Thanks for looking! and actually moved a few pieces from the garage into the shop last night. My wife is very, very excited about getting her garage back...

74.jpg

We are down to "door knobs" completing the shop. We are really happy with everything, including the pergola connection and my wife's garden room. But now the real work starts; outfitting the shop, getting it up and usable and starting on the very long "honey-do" list.

Probably start a new thread since I sign the final check to our builder tomorrow...

Blog Entries
    looking forward to the finished pictures. definitely want to see pics before you start filling it up with toys!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I Love The Smell Of Sawdust In The Morning!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cameron, any updated pics of the new shop?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Scott, thanks for reminding me that I have not posted lately. I wrote the last check to my contractor in late June then went on vacation. I spent vacation with family but thinking about setting up my shop! One of my wife's goals was to get both vehicles back into the garage while I wanted to take my time setting up the shop. Anyway, we hit a major milestone late last Tuesday night when I was able to park both cars in the garage (my wife simply replied "miracles do happen!"). Since then I've been busy building a few shop necessities. I built an A-frame sheet-good and cutoff storage and am now building a workbench (Tom Clark design, highly recommended). I don't have many stationary tools yet but the shop is getting close to being functional. I parked my wooden boat (under the tarp) in there to reserve the "project space" where I hope to start a cedar strip canoe this fall.

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg
    Here you can see the "pocket" garage door & lumber rack on the wall
    IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg
    Here is my sheet-good and cutoff storage. Didn't take long to fill that up! And I still have a storage unit full of lumber!!!
    IMG_0495.jpg
    Here is good shot of the french cleat system going around the entire shop. My wood-working buddy is experimenting w/ clamp racks in the back corner. Nice that I can move them anywhere in the shop w/o any new holes!

You've been busy Cameron, looks great!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney