Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miller Falls Miter Boxes

An old M-F 74 (right) and a newer Langdon (left). Both work very well and are accurate but the later one is less fussy to adjust.
    Last edited by Mike Brady; 10-20-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Both them look great Mike! How much time did you spend rehabbing them?

Great info on these classic saws!

Here is the best site I know of for Millers Falls Langdon miter box information: https://sites.google.com/site/langdo.../home/catalogs

Use it if you really want to do a precise restoration of the tool's functions. This site isn't fancy, but is has a lot of useful information.

The only real difference between a #74 and a #75 is the LENGTH of the saw being used. The 75 used a 30" long by 5" deep saw, the 74 had a 28" long saw, by 5" deep. side view.jpg
    This is how my #75 came home from a Garage sale ( $15) Cleaned up rather nicely...
    saw.jpg
    Currently, that 30" saw is in need of a sharpening....so I am running the 28" long saw. Both are 5" under the spine, both fit either box.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Clark View Post
    As far as I know, the Langdon Acme box was offered in three sizes, referred to in the catalog as 1, 2, and 2 1/2. The model numbers 68-75 determined the combination of saw and box. The model numbers break down as follows:

Model No. Box No. Saw Size
    68 1 22
    69 1 24
    70 1 26
    71 2 22
    72 2 24
    73 2 26
    74 2 1/2 28
    75 2 1/2 30

I don't know what the differences are between the different box numbers The 2 and 2 1/2 are clearly larger boxes since they have a larger mitre capacity at 45 degrees and at 90 (10in vs 7in). The 2 and 2 1/2 have the same capacities but the 2 1/2 is heavier (net, not including saw) indicating it's bigger in some dimension.

That's what I've been able to learn from the catalogs I have. My advice to everyone when it comes to mitre boxes it to keep looking. They do pop up from time to time. I dislike selling them online because shipping them is a real pain. It takes a tremendous amount of time, not to mention packing supplies to pack and ship them properly. Because of the high cost of shipping them I'm forced to charge what I feel is an unrealistic price for them which is something I hate to do.

I hope this helps! Good luck in your search!

-Josh

Is there an easy way to save your post so I know where to find it later on besides printing it out? Always have questions on these and this seems to answer most of them!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Humbert View Post
    Is there an easy way to save your post so I know where to find it later on besides printing it out? Always have questions on these and this seems to answer most of them!
    Tom, It depends on your computer's operating system.

It also depends on other preferences. Often it is easy for me to save pages as a web archive. This lets me save full pages as a file that opens with a browser but saves it on my computer.

Other times text is copied and pasted in to a text editor for saving.

Sometimes an image file is more useful. My computer is an iMac. There are system commands that allow the user to capture images from the screen as an image file. My understanding is this is available on current Microsoft operating systems.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Go to the top of this page to 'Thread Tools' and subscribe to thread.